Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: changing to bottle with 7 week old

Default changing to bottle with 7 week old

My duaghter is 7 weeks old and I have started back work. I work at a daycare and its hard to breastfeed her while taking care of the other kids. I heard that she will quit breastfeeding on me or will refuse a bottle from me. What should I do?

Default Re: changing to bottle with 7 week old

Welcome! Is it possible for you to breastfeed your baby in a sling? A lot of mamas who must simultaneously care for a baby and other children find that they need to be able to feed the baby on the go, with hands free, and that means using a sling. A bottle is not going to solve any of your problems right now, because you'd have to be pumping milk to fill the bottle, which takes time and energy and is not compatible with caring for other kids, not to mention your own baby, and if you bottle-feed you'd also have to be holding the bottle for your baby to drink out of, since a 7 week-old cannot hold a bottle and bottle-propping is dangerous.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You will have to take pumping breaks if you go to bottles...sit down to nurse and put baby in a sling while you are working.

If you want to use bottles, then someone else should feed your baby for you those bottles. While it is possible to combine bottles and breast -- many mothers do -- it is generally easier on mother and baby if mother is not involved in giving bottles on a frequent basis.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I am often alone with the kids for several hours and noone else there to help me feed : ( I do not want to put her on a bottle but the kids make it very difficult to breastfeed.

Sorry I also tried to use a sling but she likes to back off my breast frequently bc of my over supply. I really dont know what to do..

Keep trying! Trust me she will learn to breastfeed in the sling. I also have over supply. When you undo your bra tuck a burp cloth into the bottom of it so its hanging down and that way when baby comes off you don't get soaked because the milk sprays/drips onto the cloth and simply quickly get her back on. You can also just hold her with one arm of you'd like rather than the sling. That's what I did. I also found it easier to nurse in the moby wrap than in the sling. Keep trying and don't give up. People will tell you silly things and ask why you don't just give her bottles and things like that which is just silly. Also you would have to take time to pump anyway so why not just take the time to breastfeed? Good luck and keep asking us anything you'd like
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Are you self employed or do you work for someone? If you are an employee, do you know what your legal rights are in your area as far as breaks for pumping? If you have the right to take pumping breaks, I think you could make a good case that 'nursing breaks' (should you need those) would actually likely be quicker.

Is your concern that the kids in your care will see you nurse? Maybe you could discuss this concern with your employer or your clients. Since I am assuming you are allowed to bring your baby to work, I don't see how anyone can prevent you from feeding her as you like while she is there, as long as you are able to watch the kids as needed at the same time. I mean gosh-what do you do if you have to change a really messy diaper-your babies or one of your charges? Bottle prep and feeding takes time and attention as well. I used to work in daycare and I know it can get hairy when you are there alone-but if you feel you cannot watch the kids adequately due to nursing I really don't know how you could safely bottle feed baby either, never mind pumping.

with PP
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

My boss is excellent and does not mind me feeding at all, but when she leaves and I am alone it is hard to feed and take care of the other kids. Thanks for all your info ladies I am going to keep trying.

How many kid exactlya r youe caring for? In Kansas there is laws about how many one person is allowed to care for. And it's fewer babies then toddlers. I believe it's one caregiver for every 3 babies. but, it's been a long time since I was a DC worker. (like 20 years ago) So I'm not up to date on the numbers exactly. But, I would make sure your work is going by the law on that. Because, it should be easier if you are not understaffed by the law at the very least. (at least having the amount of staff the law requires).

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~