Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Prenatal vitamin + Toddler multi-vitamin = ???

Default Prenatal vitamin + Toddler multi-vitamin = ???

Hi ladies. Do those of you who nurse toddlers take prenatal vitamins PLUS give your little one a multivitamin on top of that? My DD's pediatrician asks me every time we are in if she gets a multivitamin, and he is aware that we still nurse. DD will be 2 yr 6 mo in a few days.

I finally just started giving her a Flinstones Toddler multi vitamin a couple weeks ago. The dose is 2 gummies per day. When we started, for a couple days after she was really out of sorts- sleeping was off, eating habits went screwy, and her general attitude was weird too. The only thing I could think of was that we had started giving her those vitamins... Could it have something to do with both of us taking a multivitamin, or do you think maybe this was just a coincidence? Is it possible she was getting too much of a certain vitamin, like an over dose kind of? Since I noticed that, I have been rotating what days we get vitamins- on days that I give her one, I don't take one and vice versa.

Any logic to this, or is it just my paranoia?

First time mama to my bean, born 3/2012. Still . She loves her "me's".

Default Re: Prenatal vitamin + Toddler multi-vitamin = ???

She's probably responding badly (as all healthy people will) to a dye or additive in the product. I'd discontinue, personally, and find a more natural vitamin. Genuine Health generally has good products. Otherwise, your doctor might be able to prescribe a dye-free alternative.

Is there a reason the doctor wants her on a multi-vitamin? Just asking because I never thought they were necessary for healthy children. As someone who's had to switch doctors a lot (insurance reasons) I'm always surprised at how different their recommendations can be. One even told me the vitamin d supplement the last doctor had my kid on was now considered dangerous, lol. I certainly don't think vitamins are bad and go through periods of time I give them to my kids, but haven't been very consistent since then.

It very well was a coincidence, but it wouldn't hurt to try a different brand. And maybe start on a half dose, just a thought.

He always talks about the new recommendations for Vitamin D and always recommended giving her D.Vi.Sol or Tri.Vi.Sol too when she was an infant... maybe just his opinion? I'll ask him next time we are in just how important it is right now.

First time mama to my bean, born 3/2012. Still . She loves her "me's".

Vitamin D (when needed) can be found in products that give the daily suggested dose in a tiny drop for babies and toddlers.
    Vitamin D is a big deal because recent (last 7 or 8 years or so?) research has shown that
    1) it is WAY more important for overall good health than previously thought
    2) optimal levels are much higher than previously thought
    3) lifestyle changes (not going outside and wearing sunscreen) have led to much of the population being low in D
    4) due to all of the above, many women are low in D and consequently, their babies are born low in D.
    I also thought of dyes or additives as the possible culprit in your child's reaction.
    Whether YOUR child (or you) needs vitamin D supplements or any other supplements depends on your particular circumstances (where you live in relation to the equator and what kind of skin pigmentation you have,) diet, and lifestyle.