Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3rd LC and nothing works :/

Default Re: 3rd LC and nothing works :/

Hi, so sorry you are having so much pain. I have had similar difficulties with one side, sadly continuing on and off to this day. No LC has given me reasons for the difficulty, though I do get vasospasms and have occasional nipple trauma. That side is a flatter nipple, but it pulls out well. Anyhow, I have just managed the pain with ibuprofen and by nursing less on that side. In periods when it hurts less, I nurse more and get the supply back up on that side. Nowadays I try to start on that side so that the sleepy sucking is always on the better nipple, and that seems to help me. When necessary, I just hand express from that side into a glass (super easy if Im nursing the other side) and save the milk. I find regular pumping on that side hurts, too. Yes, my breasts are a bit lopsided now, but I know it won't last forever. I hope this helps rather than scares you. In general the pain is pretty low these days, and, most importantly, I love everything else about nursing enough that it's worth it.
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

Same thing here. Sometimes I will try a different position and it will work for 1-2 days (where the bain becomes bearable) and then it'll start again... Just don't get it. And no matter what we do, nipples always come off wedged, even when I get him to open really wide. Sometimes I can't even see the areola, cause every bit seems to be tucked in his mouth. Really don't get it. But something I have noticed is that his upper lip his often tucked in. I go and flange it out but it doesn't seem to change anything :S

I had to squeeze my nipple like a sandwich to get a good latch from my LO. And for the sore nipples I bought the Medela Shells it keeps anyhting from touching them and air to them for quicker healing. Once I got the shells my nipples healed with in a week. Hang in there it gets better : )

It's getting really hard. I can say it hurts less than in the beginning when latching but it's definetly not pain free. Even with all the sandwiching and nipple tilting. Plus I think I may be getting mastitis again on the "bad" breast (the same pain, no red wedge yet). The nipple doesn't look cracked, only really pink. This has got to be related to the latch, right? Or maybe because baby started STTN (nurses at 10PM then sleeps until 6 AM).
    Should I be pumping during the night now that I suspect mastitis again?
    This is a nightmare I'm going to pump at least for the next feeding, cause I don't know if I can take this anymore...

Pump all day if it will help you feel better and give you some hope. When I had a ton of problems with breastfeeding, it did help me to take a day off and just pump, give me a little more time and then give me renewed energy to try back again the next day.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

If you suspect mastitis, pump at night. You want to cope with the mastitis first, and other problems second. Pink nipples make me wonder about thrush. Is the pain kind of burning, or maybe itching?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It is a bit itchy... I can start using miconazole cream again. but the baby should be treated as well, right?

If it's thrush, then yes, baby must be treated as well.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

last time I got checked for that the LC was not sure... So I took the diflucan but baby was not treated.
    I cannot say for sure I got better with the antifungal cause I had a lot of problems at the same time. The latching, mastitis, etc.
    This is all such a mess... Pretty sure the pedi is not going along to treat baby if he has no symptoms and if I *maybe* have thrush!
    Pumping for a bit might just give me the break I need.
    Thanks for your help girls.

Pumping may help. If you can, try to keep the baby on the breast for at least 1-2 feedings per day. That should help her maintain her ability to latch, and allow you to transition back to full-time nursing in the future, if you want to do that.