Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often and how long at 3 months?

Default How often and how long at 3 months?

Okay DS has been a great nurser. Almost doubled his birth weight in 2 months. He's been eating every 2-3 hours, probably more like 3 lately. Even at night.

Last week I had an incident where my ods was in his face during a feeding and I had to forcefully remove him from the couch (he's 2). Things have been stressful and I yelled at him. This scared yds. My parents came in town to help and I was able to feed yds in peace since last thursday w no problems.

So today I'm by myself again and yds seems to get upset around noise now. Ex: toddler throwing toys and squealing while he's nursing. He pulls off and screams. I can't tell if maybe he's just not hungry or what. I took him upstairs to quiet and he nursed just a few minutes and then crying again. Well then I rocked him and he fell asleep. So maybe just tired. Idk I'm so confused.

Do some babies go 4 hours btw feedings? Ods never did. So hard having two little people to care for. Not sure if any of this makes sense I'm tired. Any help or reassurance would be great. Thanks
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.

Default Re: How often and how long at 3 months?

I should mention it seems like he is ok after sleeping a bit. Maybe just tired? He has a hard time sleeping w all the noise around here. I guess it's hard being the youngest.

He'll adjust to the noise, mama. I think younger kids tend to be more mellow and flexible because they have to be.

At 3 months, some babies will go 4 hours between feedings, but it's really unusual for it to happen on a routine basis. At this point, as long as diaper output and weight gain are normal, you can just let your baby set his own schedule. Though it never hurts to offer the breast more often than the baby seems to want- sometimes feeding the baby more during the day means the baby has less need for calories at night, and therefore you might get a slightly longer stretch of sleep. Or not. But it's worth a try!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh man he's not really mellow at all. These two are pretty intense. Maybe just a Monday, Bleh!
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.

Do you think nursing for 5-10 minutes is normal? He feeds longer sometimes and then other times just really short. Dude is such a chunk...almost out of his 6 month clothes.

By that age, it's totally normal for a baby to be able to get a full feeding in just 5-10 minutes at the breast. Babies become quite efficient as they grow up, and many of them want to spend less time at the breast comfort-sucking as they become more alert and interested in their surroundings.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"