Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Want to start nursing again...

Default Want to start nursing again...

Okay, My daughter is 4 weeks old and I nursed the first week and then just pumped the three weeks after. I am not going back to work. (I thought I was) Can I get her to nurse again? I've tried and it's like she want's nothing to do with it. I am not making as much as i was when I was nursing and I just need advice??

Thanks!

Default Re: Want to start nursing again...

You most certainly can get her to nurse again! It took my daughter 2 months to even latch and another 3 months to get it right. My son took 3 weeks. What you have on your side, that I did not, was the knowledge that she can do it. Now you just need to get her to want to do it again. Can you have a babymoon again? Where you do nothing but lay around with your baby on your bare chest? Toss the bottles and try to make it as positive, loving experience as you can. I won't lie, it's emotional. But effective.

What happens when you try to nurse?

I found Dr. Sears the most helpful. Good luck, and keep with it. It is so worth it!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I hope so..

She goes crazy, screams and turns her head.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dassahsmama View Post
    I hope so..

She goes crazy, screams and turns her head.
    Which can be heartbreaking. I know. Have you thought of an SNS? I have never personally used one, we did syringe and cup feedings, but my sister in law had luck with one, as have many women on this forum. You want the breast to be a positive experience. Try taking your top off and stripping her down and laying around that way. Maybe be sure she's not starving and thinking you are going to force her to try. Just let her smell you and remember that's where the milk comes from.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Check out this link on getting a baby back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html. The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are supposed to be especially helpful. Instant reward is very compatible with the SNS that the PP mentioned.

Oh, and if you're having trouble with milk production, here are some ways to fix it:
    - Pump more often and for longer
    - Use a better pump (hospital-grade rental is best)
    - Combine pumping and hand expression
    - Try herbal supplements (fenugreek, blessed thistle, oatmeal)
    - As a last ditch option, Reglan and Domperidone are prescription drugs which can increase milk supply. Both have additional side effects and are not for all moms, so talk to your health care provider before taking either one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This sounds a lot like how I started out with my son. I couldn't get him latched on in the beginning so I was pumping and giving him bottles. At 3 weeks he stopped taking bottles and only nursing. He would scream and turn his head away also. What really helped me was nursing him at night or when he was really sleepy. During the day every time he was hungry I would try for 10 minutes to nurse and if he couldn't get it, I would give him a bottle. This saved both of us from getting too frustrated. She can do it, it just takes patience and time.

I don't have any experience with this but I just wanted to say YOU CAN DO IT I promise you can Just keep at it and don't give up because you and your LO can do it. Good luck and come here for support ANYTIME
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!