Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2-week-old eating every 3-4 hours

Question 2-week-old eating every 3-4 hours

My son, who'll be 3 weeks old on Friday, nurses every three to four hours (once or twice a day, he'll go 2 hours between feedings). He's gaining weight well (was up one pound over his birth weight at his 10-day appointment) and having regular wet and BM diapers. I have to wake him up to feed him most of the time. I wonder, though, if he's nursing enough. It turns out to be about 8 or so feedings a day. His pediatrician and my lactation consultant both said it was fine for him to go 3-4 hours between feedings because he is gaining well, but I remember my older son eating every 2-3 hours when he was this young. At night, he'll even go 4 1/2 to 5 hours -- leaving my breasts very full if I don't wake him up to eat!

Should I be waking him to feed him more often? Advice is appreciated!

Default Re: 2-week-old eating every 3-4 hours

If he is gaining well and has no issues, I say you can comfortably go to nursing on demand. It is disconcerting, especially when you have another baby that was different. But he knows when he's hungry. Let his needs guide you. And I wouldn't be surprised if he changes it up at some point.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I generally agree with pp, but I am a tad concerned about the overfull feeling in your breasts at night and baby's sleepiness. I wonder if you can get baby to take another feed just during that really long break and/or hand expressing or pumping once during that time. Your breasts feeling full on a regular basis will lessen milk supply overtime, which is fine if you have more milk than your baby needs but not if you don't. But perhaps baby will 'wake up' and start nursing more frequently soon, as would be fairly normal at this age.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    If he is gaining well and has no issues, I say you can comfortably go to nursing on demand. It is disconcerting, especially when you have another baby that was different. But he knows when he's hungry. Let his needs guide you. And I wouldn't be surprised if he changes it up at some point.
    But don't be afraid to attempt to cram in a few more feedings during the day, since your LO is still so young.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"