Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The beginning of the end...

Unhappy The beginning of the end...

My baby is 11.5 months, and did not have even a spoonful of solids until this week. He just was not having it, wanted nothing to do with it. Then all of a sudden, he is eating several tablespoons of homemade baby food three times a day. His diapers are no longer the mild smelling breastfed baby diapers, and today was even a clay-like mess of tomatoes and mashed potatoes. I literally started tearing up today when I saw that diaper.

My little boy is growing up, and this is so hard for me. This week was "the beginning of the end." There is nothing more precious to me in the world then my strong breastfeeding relationship with my son, and while I am so happy and proud of him for "finally" eating solids, I still have a tear in my eye to even think of our breastfeeding relationship ending.

I have no plans to stop on my end for at least another year... I do hope he feels the same... Not really a question, but I know a bunch of you moms have been there, done that, and just wanted some support from you all. I laugh a little at my being a little overdramatic, as my son is currently sleeping here on my lap in full latched-on position
    Exclusively BF since 2/1/11 with no end in sight.
    THE greatest joy of my life.

Default Re: The beginning of the end...

I felt betrayed the first time Lilah drank water out of a cup. Betrayed. You could back off on the solids.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I felt betrayed the first time Lilah drank water out of a cup. Betrayed. You could back off on the solids.
    Yes, I too am feeling a little betrayed lol. Gosh I have actually considered backing off on the solids just to make mommy feel better, but he is absolutely unstoppable. Let me tell you, there would actually be a CIO situation in this house if I did that. If either me or DH is eating, he runs over and starts panting/crying until he gets some grown-up food in his belly. He's like a vampire who smells blood. lol. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of very cute moments embedded in this solids business, but I'm still gonna pout.
    Exclusively BF since 2/1/11 with no end in sight.
    THE greatest joy of my life.

If it makes you feel any better my son (12 months today!) loves solids, eats 3 mealsa day and still nurses 10 times in 24 hours!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Yes just because baby is enjoying your yummy homemade food does not mean he will not also continue to love to nurse! Your nursing relationship is changing, but there is no reason to think it is over or anything close.

Nursing past one is a whole new adventure. If you can attend a nursing toddler playgroup or something many moms find those very helpful. Also this book is an oldie but goody-Mothering Your Nursing Toddler.

PS as far as being overdramatic- for me the realization my baby was growing up was walking. The first time I saw my oldest stand up and take a step I kind of screamed and then cried.

I totally understand! I don't want to have to start solids at all! So I am pushing it of as long as possible. I figure I won't start until dd shows interest. I know I will probably cry when I have to start solids with her too! It's just like you said, the beginning of an end. Or just a change and I don't want to change! Haha
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!