Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sour milk!

Default Sour milk!

I am so bummed! I just had to throw away another frozen bag of BM because it tastes like vomit! This is the second time I've had to do this. Both bags were about 2 months old- so I thought I'd be well within the freezing time frame. The only thing I can think of is that it was probably in the fridge for a few days before I froze it- I usually try to use it fresh, but if it doesn't look like I will need it before the 5-8 day mark, I throw it in the freezer. Maybe that's the problem, that I didn't freeze right away? I was thinking maybe lipase, but I can keep milk in the fridge for days and it's fine, and all my other frozen stuff DS has taken no problem.
    Help!
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again

Default Re: Sour milk!

It is lipase!! That is how mine tastes if it is frozen without scalding. Just scald it before you freeze it and you won't have any more vomit tasting milk. Some moms only have the issue with frozen milk. Mine is like that regardless of when I freeze it and after about 36 hours if fresh.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Lipase

Scald what you want to freeze.

The enzyme can work so slowly on frozen milk that that is why you don't have a problem with fresh. And I bet milk you froze last week is OK.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

The enzyme can work so slowly on frozen milk that that is why you don't have a problem with fresh. And I bet milk you froze last week is OK.
    You wouldn't leave fresh milk in the fridge for 2 months, because bacteria would make it spoil before the lipase made it taste yucky. But putting your milk in the freezer for a couple months spares it from bacterial action, preserving it long enough for lipase to slowly and steadily break down all the fats.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I knew I'd get my quick, accurate response here.
    Thanks a million! I'll scald before freezing from now on.
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again