Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding Twins.

Default Breastfeeding Twins.

I have been nursing my twin boy since the beginning and now he is 9 weeks. Twin girl was in NICU for 19 days so I have never breast fed her. She has always got my expressed milk. Lately I have been pumping less and I have went to at least a 4 day supply of milk for her to 1 day. Does this mean that my milk is running out? How could it if I am nursing twin boy?

Default Re: Breastfeeding Twins.

Does that mean you have been supplementing her with frozen? The thing is, even though your boy is telling your body about the milk HE needs, if you're not pumping enough extra to get the milk that your daughter needs, your body doesn't know to make that milk. So you really need to pump the entire amount that she eats every day and not supplement if you don't want to give her formula. Have you tried to nurse her directly? Maybe that would be easier?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

with the PP. When a baby nurses on demand, it's very easy for the baby to maintain supply at just the level he/she needs. It is much more difficult to do that using a pump, because pumps are so much less effective at removing milk than babies are. After a while, it's pretty common for a mom who is exclusively pumping to see a decrease in her milk supply, and even though you are nursing one baby you are simultaneously EPing for another. Ideally, getting your daughter to the breast would solve this issue. If she is having trouble nursing, check out this link: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html. If she cannot or will not nurse, you need to use your pump to increase the amount you are making. This link covers increasing supply by pumping: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html. And this one covers doing so when baby isn't nursing: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Your body is making milk for one baby, and even if you are pumping and feeding the other the pumped milk, a pump isn't as good as a baby at stimulating supply.

I would consider doing the following:
    Pump one side while nursing baby boy, then double pump when he is done.
    Sneak in extra pumping sessions between his feeds.
    Get a hospital grade pump
    Use a hands free bra
    Use breast compressions
    Make sure the horns are the right size
    Pump in the middle of the night

Keep in mind that it can take a week or so to rebuild supply while pumping. It just isn't as good as a baby, even with good pumps. You are in better shape, though, than an EPIng mom, because the one baby who nurses stimulates your supply better than if you were just pumping.

Any chance of baby girl getting to nurse?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!