Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much EBM should I leave DS?

Exclamation How much EBM should I leave DS?

My son is 3 months old, and I am currently a full time student. I have been leaving 4 oz bottles of EBM for him while I am at school.

Mondays my mother watches him, and he ate 7.5 ounces. I was gone from 12:00 to 4:15.

Tuesdays my grandmother, then my mother, and then my husband picks him up. My grandmother fed him 11 OUNCES (!!) from 10:00 to 3:15, and I had fed him before leaving her house! My mother fed him another 4 ounces before 5:15, and my husband waited for me to get home at 7:15, and I fed him then. I pumped once at school and got about 7 ounces.

Wednesdays my father watches him from 10:00 - 4:15 and he usually takes 8 ounces or so.

I am currently doing most of my pumping at night and in the morning (DS started sleeping through the night 3 weeks ago) before DS wakes up. I can keep up with this amount now, but I am worried for when I start clinicals in April and will be gone 10 hours a day 4 days a week and 4 hours one day a week. I have a modest freezer stash that I am able to add 4 - 6 feedings to a week.

I am worried, however, that my grandmother especially, and my other caregivers are overfeeding DS. I want to send 3 oz bottles instead, but I don't want DS to go hungry... Any suggestions?

Default Re: How much EBM should I leave DS?

The recommendation is 1 to 1.5 ounces for every hour that you are away from baby. You also have to think about those growth spurts when they will probably want to eat more than usual.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

3oz bottles should be fine, many babies that age drink that amount (some drink more, like mine, but it seems on here that smaller more frequent bottles is very very common).
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Thank you. I have started leaving 3 - 4 oz bottles. I think since DS sleeps through the night he eats more during the day. I also think he is at a growth spurt.

DS ate 7 oz for my grandma in like 3 hours and he still seemed hungry... I guess I just need to leave more.