Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting baby to take a pacifier

Default Re: Getting baby to take a pacifier

I forgot to say, I've been told to not put anything sugary, like syrup, on a pacifier. I think the milk idea was good though. Maybe just try a few more times?
    Mommy to Bradley, 8/2011, the love of my life

Could someone else drive and you sit with her. A lot of times I have had to stop the car, climb in the back seat and lean over the carseat to nurse my DD. She never took a pacifier either. It's like she was wondering where the milk was, lol. Good luck mamma.
    I am a first time mommy to my beautiful Ayla born 7/28/11 8lbs and 8.5ozs.
    She is now 5months and about 20lbs
    I love and
    My DH and I have never been more in love
    I love this forum you are all my heroes

You awesome mammas' ROCK!!!

I've tried sitting back there with her it just seems to make her more mad because I am not picking her up. And I'm not well endowed enough to lean over and nurse her lol
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

L used to love his pacifier and then one day it wasn't fun anymore. Until we bought a Wubbanub! He doesn't necessarily use the pacifier part, but he loves to chew on it and then cuddle with the animal part. We have another one, I think it's called a Paccinimal? The pacifier part actually comes off the stuffed animal and has converters for different types of pacifiers. The Wubbanub has a Soothie brand pacifier attached to it. Car rides are MUCH better now that he has one of these!
    *Micah*

Ready to be again!

and and

My oldest screamed in the car seat, it was awful. Refused pacifiers, I found we had to stop to nurse him quite a few times. I think some of this was just normal, (he was a fussy baby anyway) also our pediatrician suggested it was car sickness and It did seem to be worse in stop and go traffic or surface streets with lights and better on the highway.

But then one day my husband noticed the shoulder straps on the car seat were fitted incorrectly (they were too low, so went around his shoulder instead of going into teh back of the seat just above them) and consequently baby was being squeezed down in the shoulders when strapped in. Once we fixed the straps, things were better.

I am sure you, unlike my husband and I, are not dumb enough to squeeze your poor baby in the car seat like we did, but I do always suggest that because it shows that sometimes it may be actual discomfort of some kind and not only baby wanting to be held or nursed.

I'll double check to make sure she's not being squished for sure! I am pretty sure she's not but those kind of things can creep up on you before you realize how much your baby has grown And that WubbaNub is cool! I have some Soothies I'll probably just attach one to her stuffed animal and that might placate her for at least the 5 minute drive to the grocery store or my parents place haha. She is kinda a high maintenance baby anyway ya know? We are seeing her Pedi again on tuesday to go over anything else that could be troubling her as she is a poor sleeper as well.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Well, I just get stumbled across wubbanubs and think it is awesome product. I would be very excite to buy such good product for my baby. These wubbanubs really look very awesome and also very good for baby.

wubbanubs

My Lo screams in the car too. And nowadays he doesnt like his paci too although he used to take one without problem. I used a white noise app on my iphone and blast really loud sounds of heavy rain near him (not so loud as to hurt his ears but must be louder than his cries). It works most of the time! He falls asleep to it within minutes!

I had the same problem that you did. I started offering the pacifier at 1 month old with no success I kept trying until he was about 2 months (I would try every day, my husband and my mother in law also tried to see if it was me) then I just gave up and stop offering. Then at 5 months he started teething and wanted to chew on something and I offered the pacifier again, this time he likes it although just for sleeping (which is great 'cause I didn't want him chewing on that all day). I must admit it is such a relief. So I guess my advice would be don't force it to him (I actually tried the karo honey and didn't matter, he refused at that time) but keep offering it from time to time and see how it goes... although there is no guarantee since I know some kids will never take it... good luck!