Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting baby to take a pacifier

Default Getting baby to take a pacifier

DD is 4.5 months old and has never taken a pacifier. I'm ok that she doesn't but on occassion it would be really really nice. For example without fail she cries every time she is in the car seat for as long as she is in the car seat. It makes going anywhere a nightmare! And she is a terrible sleeper too and I wonder if it would help her sleep. She chews/kinda sucks on her fingers when she is awake but it seems like more of a play thing than a soothing thing. Is there a way to encourage thumb sucking? One of my friends suggested dipping the pacifier in karo syrup, is that safe??? I tried dipping it in my milk and it didn't do squat. She also doesn't take a bottle.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Default Re: Getting baby to take a pacifier

Yeah, my LO hasnt taken a pacifier since the NICU, really since he discovered breasts. He's almost a year. At about 4 months I tried every pacifier I could find. Now we have them floating around the house bc he finds them fascinating objects: he likes to hold the nipple part and suck on the hard plastic. But once your other care provider develops a routine with your LO, he could do anything. I think they are different with moms than with others. Felix would sometimes suck on a pacifier when I had meetings and left him with DH. He is also not a bottle lover, but would take one with DH if he was really hungry, esp. when he was in a bouncy chair. Also, at about 6 mos (but 4.5 adjusted) Felix became obsessed with drinking out of cups. If he saw one of us drinking from a glass, he would thrash his limbs until he got to "hold" it. It still took a while before he could drink efficiently from a cup, and he still drips everywhere now, but we could use it in place of a bottle by 7-8 mos. So keep offering cups as well... He sounds like a happy little baby, and I'm sure he'll adjust to the new routine. Honestly, it will probably be harder for you. Hugs!
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

I've had two babies who never would take one. Good luck. Some babies just will not accept it. Then. There are the binky addicts I had two of those too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

i don't think you can "force" a pacifier... babies kind of know what they want! my baby liked a soothie from about 3 weeks to 8 weeks old. then no more pacifiers. no thumb sucking. she comfort sucks on the breast after nighttime nursing sessions, and that's it.

i keep thinking how it was with me and my brother when we were babies. i never liked pacifiers and sucked my thumb until i was a toddler. my brother loved his pacifier. my mom offered us both the same conditions, etc, but we just had our particular preferences.

to be honest, i'm glad my baby doesn't use a paci or sucks a thumb. i don't have to worry about weaning her off of any of them!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

I tried to get my girls to take a pacifier, with limited success, and found around 4-5 months they discovered their hands. DD1 sucks 2 fingers all.the.time. DD2 sucks her thumb.
    What about a lovey for in the car seat, or something that plays music or white noise? For christmas my girls got some cloud b sheep/girafee and the glow seahorses, which are great for car seats/strollers/cribs.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Neither of mine ever took a pacifier. Although DD1 does suck her thumb, DD2 never bothered. I just chalk it up to different personalities.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

What brands have you tried? DS will be 5 months tommorrow and just started taking a paci less than a month ago. We had the same problem you had, car rides were HORRIBLE because he would cry a great deal of the time, and I can't stand for my babies to cry!!!! Also, there were times I'd be helping DD(6) do something or cooking or just wanting to go pee! LOL And it's nice for him to have one then instead of crying, kwim?

We tried Soothies, Nuk, Gumdrops and Avents and none of those worked! Then I read on another message board that several moms had good luck with their BF babies taking Mam brand pacis, and with no nipple confusion! I thought it was worth a try and told DH I was probably wasting my $ and that would be the last brand I tried. Well, DS took them awesomely the first time I put one in his mouth and has ever since. Car rides are soooo peaceful and enjoyable for us all!!!!! It's really nice!!!! So maybe try different brands if you haven't already?

Haha I wish I hadn't tried so many. I have tried Avent, Soothie, Nuk, Gerber, MAM, Nuby, A brand from Babies R Us. No luck
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Re her car unhappiness, you might consider changing carseats. I could hardly go out bc he would scream in the car -- until we switched from a graco infant to a britax convertible. I'm afraid the infant seat exacerbated some reflux issues or something, bc it leaned back so far. We switched at about 4 mos. and it immediately improved. He still fussed, but it was never again the world-ending scream it was before. I've heard this isnt uncommon.
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

My son wasn't a pacifier fan for awhile either (we originally had MAM ones). A friend of mine then got him nuk ones and he really liked them. He only takes it when he's falling asleep after nursing, then he spits it out when he falls fully asleep. It has saved us on a couple car rides too. He's also a HUGE hand chewer! My mom recently bought him something that he LOVES to chew and suck on during the day, it really helps when he's getting fussy (his teething has been a nightmare). It's a rubber banana w/ a rubber toothbrush head on it, but they can chew on the whole thing. I wish I could remember the brand...
    Mommy to Bradley, 8/2011, the love of my life