Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do I HAVE to start?

Default When do I HAVE to start?

DD is 4.5 months old. I do not want to start offering solids yet. I feel bm is the most important thing right now. I was planning on waiting until she started showing more interest and then doing mostly BLS. But I am going back to work part time next month and she won't come near a bottle. My shifts will only be 4-5 hours at a time and not every day. But she still nurses every 1.5 to 2 hours so I know she will be hungry. We've tried cup feeding and syringe feeding, neither one gets much milk into her and she has no tolerance for. People keep saying if I started her on some solids that she could just have solids while I am away. But I reeeeeeeeally don't want to start solids yet. What are your opinions?
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Default Re: When do I HAVE to start?

I EBF my little boy still. He turned 6 months old last week. 4.5 months is pretty young in my opinion to start solids. I pump sometimes, and there was a period of time where he would not take the bottle. I resolved the problem by making sure that I tried to offer him the bottle at least 2 times a day for a while. Soon he took it (like a hard weeks worth of trying). I am so nervous for starting solids, though personally, because my lil guy has milk protein allergy and wheat sensitivity. My sister gave her son (same age as my son) solids starting at 4.5 months, but he started sitting independently around then, too. He has did fine with solids. Talk with her pediatrician, if all else fails. They might have some good suggestions. Hope that maybe helps.

I wouldn't start solids until 6 months. That is the current recommendation from the AAP. Plus, they don't even eat solids at 4.5 months, they just push them out of their mouth unless you get the spoon in far enough. Bottles are another issue. Have you been the one offering the bottle? Does she nurse at night? If you're only going to be gone 5 hours and she still refuses the bottle - I know that will be stressful for you - but some babies sleep through the night. I've never seen one in real life , but going 5 hours without nursing or drinking from a bottle would be ok for a baby that is otherwise nursing on demand all day and night.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

When my SIL went back to work when my niece was about that age my niece would not take bottles for over a week (with her mom working full time). Eventually she took bottles. (The amount of weight that she lost during this period seems to increase every time my SIL tells the story.) As PP said, babies at this time can go without eating for 5 hours. I have found in general that my LO eats less frequently when I am not there. Wait for the solids.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Here's a great article with a checklist of signs that your baby is developmentally ready for solids.

Like a pp said, the bottles are a separate issue. At this age you DO NOT want to replace breast milk feedings with solids. Even if you did start now (which would be too early, IMO) it wouldn't be a good idea to try to replace a milk feeding with them.

Are you the one trying to give her the bottle/cup/syringe? It may help if you try letting someone else give it and you may even need to leave the house for a little while. Sometimes babies will refuse alternative feeding when they know the good stuff (ie mommy ) is nearby.

Just keep trying and don't worry too much about it. She'll either decide to take the bottle or she'll wait until you get home and nurse like crazy.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I've tried giving her a bottle, my DH has, my mom, my MIL my FIL even my 3 yr old DD has tried. We've tried with me gone with me there. We've tried freshly expressed milk as well as milk from the freezer. She does nurse all day and all night. I wish I didn't ever have to start solids
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

have you tried different bottles and nipples? i heard that this can help. with my baby we only tried one kind of bottle, she never took to it, and so i gave up, but looking back i wish i had at least experimented a little more. there was a thread somewhere here a little while ago where someone posted a link to a fancy bottle that looked more natural, more like a breast. i wish i had tried one of those. something like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Comotomo-Natur.../dp/B004C053BA

this wasn't the brand posted here, but this also looks more breast-like.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

I've tried Playtex, medela, avent, gerber, Breastflow, MAM, and Nuk. She wouldn't take any of them I may have to try one of those others.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I don't know that I'd try yet another bottle. I think that if you're only talking 4-5 hours at a time at 5 months old you'd be safe to just say if she is hungry while you're gone she will eat and otherwise she can just wait until you get home and nurse.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous