Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Think my milk production slowed down.

Default Think my milk production slowed down.

Hello ladies, I'm back again with another question. 80% of the time I'm an on demand feeder, but once in a while I will pump a bottle if I go out and let my in laws watch her for a little bit. Well lately I've noticed when I pump I barely get 3 oz. out. When I need to pump I let my milk build up so I can get more pumped out. I used to be able to wait about 4-5 hours to build up and one side would feel very full and pump out 5-6 oz, and I would nurse from the opposite side. Well the past week or two it's been taking almost all day to get that full feeling in my breast before I pump it. Anyone have any similar experiences or know why I'm not filling up as fast. I know your body adjusts to what the baby needs and starts producing just enough. I just hope I'm not drying up after only 10 wks.
    Darci

married to the love of my life 3/25/11
    EBF to my sweet little Annabelle 11/10/11

Default Re: Think my milk production slowed down

You are not drying up. Your supply is just regulating
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

OK, I have no idea if you have low supply. But I can tell you that waiting 4-5 hours to 'build up' your milk so you can pump alot at one sitting is a great way to reduce your supply.

Milk production is harmed when breasts are repeatedly allowed to feel full. You do not want to let your breasts get full! That will affect your supply. Mothers with severe oversupply purposefully do this in order to reduce supply. A mom with normal supply is going to run the risk of harming her supply by doing this.

the antidote? Nurse, as frequently as possible. Pump if baby will not nurse. Don't worry about how much you 'get" when pumping each time. that is unimportant in the overall picture of milk supply. What is important is frequent and regular milk removal.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    You are not drying up. Your supply is just regulating
    WSS

Pumping 3 oz is really good. You only need to leave 1-1.5 oz in a bottle of expressed breastmilk for every hour you are gone. Make sure the bottle nipples are slow flow or newborn flow.

Don't panic. You are good.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    OK, I have no idea if you have low supply. But I can tell you that waiting 4-5 hours to 'build up' your milk so you can pump alot at one sitting is a great way to reduce your supply.

Milk production is harmed when breasts are repeatedly allowed to feel full. You do not want to let your breasts get full! That will affect your supply. Mothers with severe oversupply purposefully do this in order to reduce supply. A mom with normal supply is going to run the risk of harming her supply by doing this.

the antidote? Nurse, as frequently as possible. Pump if baby will not nurse. Don't worry about how much you 'get" when pumping each time. that is unimportant in the overall picture of milk supply. What is important is frequent and regular milk removal.
    A lot of moms think that they'll get more if they let the milk "build up". And that typically works well the first few times. But then it backfires, because every time mom lets the milk build up, her body interprets that long period of zero demand as a sign of overproduction, and it consequently reduces production. A mom's storage capacity- something which is very individual- governs how long a mom can leave milk sitting in the breast before her body reduces supply. Some moms with big storage capacities can go 4 hours between pumping or nursing sessions without a big supply drop, but the average mom can't.

If you want more milk, nurse more often or pump more often. It's better for supply to remove 1 oz every hour than 4 oz every 4 hours, because the frequency of demand cues your body to increase production.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Wow, Thank you everyone! You definitely taught me something new today!! Very good information! Another question, is it ok to add fresh pumped bm to already refrigerated bm? I don't want to risk anything.
    Darci

married to the love of my life 3/25/11
    EBF to my sweet little Annabelle 11/10/11

Yes, you can add fresh milk to refrigerated milk. Best to put the fresh milk in the fridge and bring it down to the same temp as the stuff that's been sitting before mixing the two together. And remember that the use-by date for mixed milk is always that for the oldest milk in the bottle or bag, so when storing the milk make sure to label it carefully.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"