Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Very gassy baby

Default Very gassy baby

Hello. I am a new mom to a 6 week old little girl and we have been dealing with what seems like extreme gassiness. After almost every feeding she cries and cries and although she releases some gas, she seems to struggle. She also seems to be in pain and at times seems to be inconsolable. We have tried gas drops which occasionally work and have also tried some massage techniques on her belly to try to assist her in moving things along. I haven't really given a good try to cutting foods out of my diet but I am wondering if this is something I should consider? I am willing to consider anything that may help as I hate to see her feeling so uncomfortable. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Default Re: Very gassy baby

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby! Is she fussy after every single feeding, or is there a particular time of day when she seems most fussy (perhaps late afternoon or evening)? Does the fussiness improve if she is held upright after feedings? Do you ever see/hear any of the following: baby choking, coughing, spluttering, gagging, or making a clicking or clucking sound while feeding, baby pulling off the breast while feeding, mik streaming or squirting from the breast if baby pulls off?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't see her being fussy at a certain time of day. It tends to be after every feeding unless she falls asleep. If she falls asleep while eating she usually wakes up fussy. I have not noticed any of the things you mentioned. She will occasionally gulp when she has slept for 3 hours and seems to be very hungry. Is it possible for her to overeat? I wonder sometimes if she is confusing tummy/gas pain for hunger?

Okay, a couple more questions:
    - How has your baby's weight gain been? Is she gaining weight at a normal pace?
    - How many diapers does she produce in a 24 hour period, and what color are her poops?
    - Has she been fussy like this since birth, or is it a new thing?
    - Is she getting bottles at all?

Based on your responses I am thinking that you might want to talk to your pediatrician about the possibility of acid reflux. Sometimes fussy babies are just fussy, high-needs babies, sometimes they are normal babies going through a colicky stage or a growth spurt, and sometimes they are hurting babies, YK? One thing you don't need to worry about is overeating- breastfed babies don't do that. The mechanics of breastfeeding prevent overeating, because as soon as the baby transitions from sucking eagerly and hungrily for food, and transitions to sucking gently for comfort, milk flow slows to a trickle or stops altogether. This is totally different from the way a baby feeds from a bottle, which produces a fast flow of milk regardless of whether or not the baby wants to eat or just wants to suck.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thanks for you help so far! To answer your questions: She has been gaining well since about 2 weeks old or so. She had initially lost weight after birth but from what I understand that is typical. She produces plenty of wet diapers, she usually has one big poopy diaper everyday and then maybe one small one. Her poops are yellow. She hasn't been fussy like this since birth. I think she has always been somewhat fussy but this is starting to seem extreme. And, no she has never had a bottle. I am going to call her doctor tomorrow as a friend of mine also suggested that acid reflux may be a possibility.
    Thanks for the info on overeating. I was planning to start introducing bottles on occasion because I am going back to work in 5 weeks but I think I will hold off for a little while yet.

She sounds perfect! I would definitely check out the reflux angle, but be prepared for a negative response. IIRC, colic often starts at around 3 weeks of age, peaks at around 6 weeks - 3 months, and disappears by 6 months. The type of behavior you're coping with sounds sort of colicky to me. No fun! Here are some strategies that helped me get through my daughter's colicky stage:
    - Babywearing. A lot of babies cry when they are put down, so if you don't put them down they may cry less.
    - Motion. Stroll in a stroller, rock in a rocking chair, swing in a swing, ride in a car.
    - Nurse. Nurse nurse nurse nurse nurse. And then nurse some more.
    - Fresh air. Something about the change in the air and the light, IDK what, but it always shut off the crying!
    - Warm water. Give your LO a bath in the sink, or even two. As long as you don't use soap you won't dry her skin out too much.
    - White noise.
    - Keep the house calm- turn down the stereo and tv, turn down the lights.

I think you're right to delay the bottle introduction, but don't worry too much about it at this point. Most guidelines are to introduce it between 4-6 weeks.

Thanks for the suggestions! Thankfully, my Boba wrap should be arriving tomorrow and I'm hoping that will help some. I will also be checking with my doctor. I didn't think about this before but one thing that we have noticed is that this does not seem to be a problem at night. She wakes up about every 2 hours during the night, eats and typically falls right back to sleep. If she does cry during the night she is usually much consolable with a little rocking or bouncing...totally different than during the day when we can rock, walk, bounce, dance and often times still not console her. I don't know if this would change your opinion of what is going on. Thanks again for all of your help! I really appreciate it!

My son was also doing this just as you described. At 3 weeks he started being really fussy right after his feeds and i would spend over an hour burping him. I also tried gas drops, lactose drops and maybe 15 different bottles and nipples. My pediatrician suggested I change his formula (he is BF and supplemented with soy formula). She had me switch to nutramigen thinking it might be milk allergy and remove the dairy from my diet. Wow he was terrible on the Nutramigen. He screamed after each feed and it was terrible, worse than before. I read that this can be caused by severe milk allergy since that formula has some milk in it. I have since switched back to the soy formula and removed the dairy from my diet. My son is doing much better. I would suggest trying to remove dairy and or soy from your diet to see if after a few days it gets better. I have read that food sensitivities are very common in newborns. Good luck.