Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increasing Supply/Latching ideas?

Question Increasing Supply/Latching ideas?

I was breastfeeding my son. It was hard, he got sick a couple days out of the hospital and couldn't breath well. So he ended up having to take a bottle. The pump we had through WIC couldn't get the milk out so we had to suppliment. Now that he's older I'm trying to get him to latch again, this hand pumping is getting out maybe a 1/2 oz every thirty minutes so it takes me a long time to get enough for a meal out so it isn't working. Does anyone have ideas on how to get him to latch? He's six months now, hasn't latched in about a couple months. We're really trying but I need some ideas. I have fought with nurses over my wanting to breast feed, fought with low milk supply, and fought with a cold he caught in the hospital that went out of control. I'm not giving up!

Default Re: Increasing Supply/Latching ideas?

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry you had such a rough time nursing your baby. At this point, getting him to latch and nurse is something that might not happen. Or it might. You just don't know what's going to happen with an older baby. This link has really good ideas to get a baby back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html. The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are supposed to be very helpful.

Are you managing to get enough milk with the hand pump? Manual pumps are usually the absolute least effective kind of pump a mom can use. if you could get a better pump, you might be able to spend a lot less time pumping and a lot more time trying to get baby to nurse. I thought WIC gave out electric pumps? If not, and you can't aford a better machine, I would contact your local LLL and see if someone has a pump you can use. Hand-me-down pumps are not ideal, and there are some health concerns related to using them, but if I was trying to pump exclusively using a manual pump I think I might be a bit more open to the small risks associated with using an used pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"