Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple pain during and after feeding

Default Nipple pain during and after feeding

My son is 2 and a half weeks old and for the most part, nursing has been going well. He's eating well and gaining weight. But it's painful every time he latches on -- and sometimes during his feeding. He also sometimes pulls back during his feeding without letting go of my nipple (I think my milk comes too quickly for him sometimes). Afterward, my nipples sometimes have a burning sensation and a small white patch. His latch looks OK to me -- he opens wide and his lips are flared out like the lactation consultants at the hospital told me they should be.

I want to keep breastfeeding him, but I don't know if I can handle it if this pain continues. Any ideas as to what I can do to ease this pain?

Thanks.

Default Re: Nipple pain during and after feeding

I had that same feeling and it turned out to be thrush. I thought it was just because DS was nursing alot. It would burn so much when he first latched on that I would sometimes cry, then it would dull. When he was done my nips would be sore and tender. This was different from cracked/sore nipples because lanolin fixed that. I was GBS+ and had antibiotics during my natural childbirth. I went to a LC because I thought it was his latch but she said it was thrush and gave me some pills to take. I had thrush one time after that but treated it with organic apple cider vinegar. I would take a cotton square and swipe my nips after each feeding because yeast don't like the acidic environment. It worked! Another thing that helped me was the fact that DS never got thrush so I don't know how you would handle it if your DS got it.
    Wife to Adam 8/31/2008
    Mommy to William 9/30/2011
    Mommy to Tatum and Ellis 8/26/2013

Another thing to consider: does this http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html sound like what you're experiencing? Also, just because a latch looks good, if it still feels bad, it's not good. And it can feel fine and look wrong, kwim? My LO's latch feels better even though his upper lip is sorta tucked in, and hurts more when it looks "right".

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rakoonz View Post
    Another thing to consider: does this http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html sound like what you're experiencing? Also, just because a latch looks good, if it still feels bad, it's not good. And it can feel fine and look wrong, kwim? My LO's latch feels better even though his upper lip is sorta tucked in, and hurts more when it looks "right".
    I am also thinking vasospasm could be the issue here. And that a good latch feels good, doesn't matter how it looks.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi, and congratulations!
    I have vasospasms on and off. It hurts like little else. Feels like someone is trying to peel off the nipple! For me it is much much much! worse when I'm cold, so I have to wear a ton of layers, and always wear a cami that can stay in place while nursing. Advil has helped me a lot with them, also a heating pad when they just hurt too much. Some of the time I had bad vasospasms early on, I also had thrush -- so it doesn't have to be one or the other. I think I would treat for both and see what helps the most, were I you.

It will get better, so hang in there! I thought nursing would never be comfortable, but most of the time it is for me, now. And everything else about nursing is pretty great (including how much superior you get to feel! haha ).
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!