Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Skip a Feeding and supplement formula?

Default Skip a Feeding and supplement formula?

My son is almost 3mos. I had been struggling w/ production since day one due to baby in NICU and complications w/ delivery. I finally JUST got my production up to a point where I'm estimating that I'm producing about oz+/hr and have been able to exclusively bf baby. I found out that I will need to have a treatment of radioactive iodine in June/July. I was hoping to store some milk so baby can go for longer being bottle fed bm. Do you think I should skip a feeding and go back to supplementing one/two feedings w/ formula and pump so I can stock up on bm? Will that decrease my milk production?

Default Re: Skip a Feeding and supplement formul

Baby is much more efficient than a pump. So I wouldn't skip a feeding if you've had previous struggles with supply. Try to pump in the morning after nursing when supply is highest. You may also find that baby will go down to only nursing from one side for 20 minutes (or so) and that will be enough. In which case, you'll be able to fully pump the other side. You've got months to stock up. I wouldn't worry, you'll have plenty stocked up by then.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Are you getting your thyroid ablated? Or just doing the scan? If I remember correctly, I-131 is the bad one that has a long half-life used for ablation and scans, and I-123 is one that can be used for the scan which has a much shorter half-life.
    this might be of help: http://www.kellymom.com/health/thyro...treatment.html

I also saw something in a thread on here somewhere the other day, I'll see if I can dig it up for you http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...dine+radiation:
    This is from dr newman...

X-rays and scans. Ordinary X-rays do not require a mother to interrupt breastfeeding even when used with contrast material (example, intravenous pyelogram). The reason is that the material does not get into the milk, and even if it did it would not be absorbed by the baby. The same is true for CT scans and MRI scans. You do not have to stop for even a second.

What About Radioactive Scans?
    We do not want babies to get radioactivity, but we rarely hesitate to do radioactive scans on them. When a mother gets a lung scan, or lymphangiogram with radioactive material, or a bone scan, it is usually done with technetium (though other materials are possible). Technetium has a half life (the length of time it takes for ½ of all the drug to leave the body) of 6 hours, which means that after 5 half lives it will be gone from the mother’s body. Thus, 30 hours after injection all of it will be gone (well 98% will be gone) and the mother can breastfeed her baby without concern about his getting radiation. But does all the radioactivity need be gone? After 12 hours, 75% of the technetium is gone, and the concentration in the milk very low. I think that waiting 2 half lives is enough, for a material such as technetium. But: Not all technetium scans require stopping breastfeeding at all (HIDA scan, for example). It depends on which molecule the technetium is attached to. In the first few days, there is very little milk (though there is enough). In this situation it would be unnecessary for the mother to stop breastfeeding after a lung scan, for example. However, one of the most common reasons to do a lung scan is to diagnose a clot in the lung. This can now be done better and faster with CT scan, which does not require interrupting breastfeeding for even 1 second.

If you decide that interruption of breastfeeding is the best course to follow, then express milk for several days in advance (if you have advance warning about the test) and this can be fed via cup for a few days. Then while not breastfeeding, express your milk but don’t throw away the milk. The radioactive tracer that is present in the milk decays and the radiation is gone in 5 half-lives. So, even for I¹³¹ used in thyroid scans (see below), the radioactivity of the iodine will be gone in 5 half-lives, so the milk can be used in 6 to 8 weeks (the half-life of I¹³¹ is about 8 days). Only occasionally is a radioactive scan so urgent that it cannot be delayed for a few days.

Thyroid scans are different. Radioactive iodine (I¹³¹) is concentrated in milk and will be ingested by the baby and it will go to his thyroid where it will stay for a long time. This is definitely of concern. So, the mother will have to stop breastfeeding? No, because often the test does not need to be done at all. Differentiating postpartum thyroiditis from Graves’ Disease (the most common reason for doing the scan in breastfeeding mothers) does not require a thyroid scan. Get more information from the clinic. If a scan needs to be done, it is possible to do a thyroid scan I¹²³ which requires stopping for only 12 to 24 hours, depending on the dose given or technetium (see above). Don’t forget to express milk in advance so the baby can get it instead of formula.
    from http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...gename=doc-MB4
    The exception is the thyroid scan using I131. This test must be avoided in breastfeeding mothers. There are many ways of evaluating the thyroid, and only very occasionally does a thyroid scan truly have to be done. If the scan must be done, doing it with I123 requires the mother to stop breastfeeding for 12 to 24 hours only depending on the dose. Check first before taking the radioactive iodine—the test can wait until you know for sure. In many cases where the scan must be done, it can be put off for several months.

I would recommend calling www.infantrisk.com tomorrow to discuss the treatment and see what they say.

Formula isn't the end of the world, if you have to use it. Or you could reach out to a local mama on Eats On Feets (on Facebook) and see if you can get some local donor breastmilk.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!