Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Me again - please help

Default Me again - please help

I don't know if we're having a nursing strike or what. I posted last night about this, but it's still happening. He had nursed yesterday at 2 pm. Then refused and thus had nothing but 2 crackers at 3 pm. He went to sleep by 7 pm and woke at 1 am to eat. At 620 when he woke again, he refused to nurse.

My 2 biggest questions:
    He's hungry but won't nurse. What do I give him? This morning, out of desperation, I gave him some yogurt. I tried to nurse again, and he still refuses (and that's after I tried for a long time before the yogurt). Obviously, he has to eat something, sooo:

#2 - should I be pumping when he decides to skip? Should I be giving him EBM?

I'm trying not to think about it while he's starting to nurse, but that's virtually impossible. Another poster suggested TV or music while I nurse him - but he will have none of that -- it's all too interesting. He's almost 8 months, and everything is more fun than sitting still. He's never been a snuggler (except when he was teeny) because of his crazy curiosity.

I've even tried being naked from waist up to see if he just needs "better access" and skin-to-skin. No go.
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Me again - please help

Hardcore nursing strikes are so hard! Definitely whip out the pump and use it when baby skips a feeding. It's too easy for skipped feedings to result in low supply, which means that baby gets less when he does nurse, which results in baby thinking "boy, why did I even bother?" Also, when milk sits in the breast, it can sometimes get very salty, and some babies reject it on a taste basis.

All I can say is to keep trying, mama! Give him solids, but maybe keep the quantities a little smaller than he wants? The more often he is hungry, the more chances you have to get him back to the breast.

Have you tried nursing him in a very dark, very quiet room? Highly distracted and busy babies sometimes respond well to that approach.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've been crying. I'm so nervous that he's going to quit this.

Yes, I always nurse him in his room b/c everywhere else in the house is a distraction.

I always nurse him in the cradle hold b/c any other position typically results in biting or distraction.

I make my family get silent in order to keep him from being distracted. I can't turn on the TV or radio b/c of it.

And to pump means he needs to be in the room with me since I'm at home alone - and he attacks the pump. I will do it, but I feel like he's playing with me and distracting ME the entire time.

Pump when you can. I find getting out toys and sitting where baby can't mess with the pump helpful. It doesn't always work...I had to cut my morning session short today and will need to pump again in an hour...but it is better than nothing. Helps keep your supply up and keeps the milk from getting salty.

Do not use a bottle. If you supplement, don't go there. Use a cup or syringe or anything else.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

IF your child is striking, your best bets are while your child is sleeping and as you are putting him to sleep and right when he wakes from a nap. Also I'd have his ears checked. Ear infection are often the culprit. Yes pump. But an 8 month old is still napping enough that you could actually get in all the feeding you need in and around sleep time as long as they are taking two naps a day and still waking at least once or twice a night.

Way too lazy for formula

Will he latch at all? We haven't had a true nursing strike but my son would get mad waiting for letdown at AF when it is slower. Could you try pumping till letdown and then putting him on? The he gets instant milk. I've had to do this before....
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Thanks, everyone, for your help. He decided to nurse at 1030 and again at 1pm. He's napping now.

I'm thinking that part of the problem this morning was that hubby went in to get him and bring him to me - that gave him a chance to SEE everyone - daddy, big sister, the dogs, etc. I think I needed to go in while his room as still dark, feed him, and then emerge. He REALLY likes to be a part of the crowd.

I did eventually pump this morning and get 6 oz. So, I will have something to give him in case he balks again tonight.

I just don't want to have to stop nursing him before a year. That's my ultimate goal.

Thanks again for all your help!