Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: i pump less than what baby drinks =(

Default Re: i pump less than what baby drinks =(

She knows who you are. And she wants to be with you. Wanting to nurse when she sees you is about wanting to connect. There is no bottle, even if you left 8oz that is not going to make her want to latch after 2hrs away from you. Let go of the idea that this is about food and supply. It's not. You make enough milk. It's normal for your baby to want to reconnect with you anytime she is away from you.
    I would pump 1st thing in the morning after you get up to pee. I always got the best yield then. And I would never put more than 4oz in a bottle. It's taking your Mother an hour to feed her because she's not really that hungry. But even if that is true she will still want to nurse when she see you. Because she loves you. And nursing makes her feel safe.

Way too lazy for formula

Strongly agree with pps. Also, if your mother thinks she's still hungry bc she cries after the bottle, she might just be wanting to suck more. Your mother might offer her a little finger to suck on. At about that age, we started to have lots of crying unless nursing (i would let him suck for four-five hours in a row to avoid it). We found bouncing very helpful for soothing him. I would sit on an exercise ball or do deep squats, bouncing him, for whole afternoons, with breaks for nursing. Books on an mp3 player got me through, that and reading these forums! In short, crying at this age is normal and does not nec. mean hunger, though likely does mean she wants to suck and be held.
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

5 oz in 2 hours is a crazy amount. This isn't about food. This is about baby wanting to be with you, her mother. That is why she wants to nurse again as soon as she sees you. My bottlefed baby still wants me as soon as he sees me, and usually he wants me to feed him too (I have tried very hard to have a semblance of a BFing relationship with him despite bottles). It's OK.

You might want to go over some alternative ways to soothe baby with your mom.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Back to your original question about pumping...I know you mentioned in another post that you use a Medela PISA. Do you single pump or double pump? Something that you said in a reply here sounded like you're single pumping & I just wanted to throw out there that I have much better luck/output when I double pump (also using a PISA). I can get more milk in less time by pumping both breasts at once. Not sure if all the PISA's are like that, but maybe it will help...will definitely save you time at least! Also, you could try compressions (basically just massaging) to make sure you're getting all the milk out. This helped me a lot when my supply regulated, to make sure I can get enough out when I pump.
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

hi all
    I didn't know that baby can be force fed to drink. I thought that they would stop when they are full. How much shld I be bottlefeeding her for the time that I am away? 3oz? and get my mum to offer a lil finger or rock her shld she fuss in the interim?

Why would she want to be further comforted by my nursing? My mum soothes her mich better than I do. She is very calm with my mom, much more than with me. I think she loves my mum as much as she loves me, so why would she need my breasts for further comfort when she is just as comfortable with my mum?

Yes, I am using a mendela PIS double electric. But I find it so inefficient. very little milk comes out. ( 15mins and less than 1 oz) But when I manually use my hand to squeeze my breast does much more milk comes out. So I just single pump on each side while using my other hand to compress the same breast to get the milk out. Then I switch to the other breast and do the same thing. If I double pump at the same time, holding the horns to the breasts, I cant manually squeeze my breasts which = v little milk.
    Why is that so? I thought electric pumps especially high end ones like mendela are very efficient and supposed to be much faster than manual hand expression.
    n My horns are the right size.

This is the PPD. Babies KNOW their mothers. That is why she still wants to nurse. She may love your mom, but you are her mom.

Pumping is hard work. I have to use compressions all the time. Just how it is And I use a hospital grade pump!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Don't take this the wrong way...but that is delusional. You thinking that your child likes your mother better is your depression clouding your view of reality. I mean you may have more confidence your mother's ability AND your baby may very well be picking up on your stress and thus reacting accordingly when with you, but she was IN YOU for nine months. And at this point she thinks that you and her are one being. She does not even yet understand that she is a separate person from you. She thinks she is just part of you. So Nursing, touching you, being held by you, all that is what she wants because it's those things that are most familiar to her. And the things that most remind of being IN YOU. YOU are mother. And PART of that is about feeding her. But there is much much more to that. And she very well be comforted by your mother. Because you came from her. So she probably smells somewhat right and if she is in fact calm and responsive she is probably responds accordingly. But that will not change how she feels about you. How much she needs you and will always always be working to be and stay connected to you.

Way too lazy for formula

emeline, your responses bring tears to my eyes. Your baby loves you. Please get help for the post-partum depression.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    emeline, your responses bring tears to my eyes. Your baby loves you. Please get help for the post-partum depression.

s
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

emeline; You are also making me want to cry. Your baby LOVES YOU!!! All babies know their mommy, our smells our sound etc. It def sounds like you are battling with PPD. There is help out there you just have to seek it out.

Your baby is comforted by your mum for multiple reasons, she is calm with her and not nervous (as she has raised children), she probably reminds your little one of you in a way as you came form her.

A 2.5-3oz bottle is probably more than enough for the time that you are gone. Have you mum try a finger for sucking or rocking. Your baby also might just want to feel close, try babywearing, you DH and your mum could all wear your LO to give her that.

Good Luck and I hope you get the help that you need to get past PPD.

ETA: Try using a hands free bra while pumping, that way you can do compression while pumping. I think Susan knows a good one.
    Last edited by @llli*mamaDuMonte; January 18th, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude