Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: i pump less than what baby drinks =(

Default i pump less than what baby drinks =(

Baby latches on to me for all feeds except for one. For that one feed, I have been using frozen milk that I expressed on earlier when she was first born when I didn't know that pumping would lead to oversupply.

I no longer have oversupply.

Now in order to try to make sure that I don't go into undersupply, I try to pump out the same amt that baby takes for that one bottled feed. But I can only express out 50ml while she takes 150ml for that feed. This has been going on for the past few days.....will this lead to my breast drying out and undersupply?

Default Re: i pump less than what baby drinks =(

how old is your baby again? 150 ml (5 oz) sounds like a lot for one feed for a newborn!

sometimes, babies will drink more milk than they need when being fed with a bottle. there are different reasons for this (the milk is there, faster flow, the way they are fed, if the person feeding them "insists" on having them finish the bottle etc.)

if she's having a growth spurt she might want to feed more often, but you'd see the pattern also in your other feedings.

if she is given a smaller bottle (say, 2 or 3 oz), do you think she'll be satisfied?

also, depending on the time of day you pump you might get more. in the morning is usually the best time.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

with the PP. If you want to offer a very large bottle, you're probably going to need to pump more than once in order to fill it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That seems like a big amount to me for a bottle being given once a day. I would try using paced bottle feeding and get a different bottle type. Some are way too easy for baby to drink from. And your caretaker needs to ensure she/he isn't overfeeding.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

5oz is more than she needs. But if you want to produce more work that session harder/longer. What time of day do you pump?

Way too lazy for formula

But she still seems unsatisfied even with that, and continues to latch onto the breast when I come home. Is it becos she has a big appetite? She is almost 8 weeks old.

I don't have a fixed time of pumping as baby feeds v irregularly and my break time is irregular too, dpds on what time my mum can come.

This is how I pump:
    If baby is hungry before I leave, I breastfeed her and then try pumpg out 150ml when I come back ( to replace the bottlefeed).
    If she is asleep before I leave, I try to pump out 150ml before I leave.
    and I don't measure how much or how long I pump fr each breast, as long as the total is 150ml.

Am I doing it wrong? Do I need to fix a set time for pumping? Do I need to fix a fixed time duration and quantity expressed for each breast?

oh, and she drinks from a slow flow rubber latex nipple designed for 0-3mth old. And my mum feeds her the 5oz over an hour duration.

Are you only gone for 1 hour?? Both of my babies have never taken more than 1.5 ounces per hour while I'm away from them for work. My first daughter never took more than 12 ounces in a 10.5 hour separation and my second did take 16 ounces for a while but went back down to 10 on average around 6 months.

The reason that she nurses when you get back is more than just for food. It's because nursing means MOM. And she wants to be with you. My nursling always wants to nurse as soon as she sees me when I've been away - whether it was a 30 minute walk with the dog and she had just nursed, or all day long. Even if she ate just before I got home.

Since it does seem like your mom is coming over every day (which is great!), it may be easier to pump at a specific time every morning so you won't stress about getting the milk later.

Mama, I know that you're having a really hard time right now. We're all here rooting for you.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

thank you for the advice and support. =)

I'm away for 2 to 2.5 hours. My mum takes over then. SHe says that it takes her abt an hr to feed baby.

Does a newborn recognize who's their mom and want to be with them? I hardly ever talk to my newborn. My mum is the one who talks to her and stimulates her. I think I'm just the feeding machine.

Yes. They know your smell. Have you gotten help yet for PPD? This is the depression/anxiety talking.

I remember when Lilah was two weeks old I had a friend with a baby that was 6 months older than her come over. And she asked me, wasn't it great that the babies seemed so grateful to their mom for nursing. And I thought - what is she talking about?? This baby is always screaming at me when she's not nursing and then she's sleeping while she's nursing and she doesn't seem to need me for anything but nursing! But it got better, somewhere between 3 and 6 months they wake up a bit more to the world and they smile at you and laugh and start doing things and it's just so amazing. 8 week old babies don't need much stimulation, other than being held and nursed by mama. They like to look at the wall and ceiling fans.

Please get help.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months