Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can milk supply suddenly rapidly drop?

Default can milk supply suddenly rapidly drop?

I'm so worried here. baby is coming to 8 weeks. I exclusively breastfeed her for all meals except for the past few days when I pump out enough milk for 1 feed. ( for someone else to bottlefeed her).

I have oversupply and OALD. But in past 3 days, my breasts have suddenly become much softer and don't fill up. Baby seems constantly hungry and cries often, seemingly searching for more milk within the hour.

I thought that if one constantly latches baby on for all feeds, supply shld not run out, especially if one has oversupply?

Am so afraid that my lil one is starving.

Default Re: can milk supply suddenly rapidly dro

You have plenty Your supply is just regulating. It is doing what it is supposed to do. If baby is having enough wet diapers and poops are normal, it's good.

What you are describing sounds like a growth spurt. So...make yourself comfortable on the couch and nurse on demand It passes within some days.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

No not starving. Regulating. One doesn't have over supply forever. You are 8 weeks in. Your supply is regulating. Your body is beginning to make exactly the right amount for your child. When that happens your breast will soften and won't over fill. How are her diapers? As long as she continues to have 6-8 wet diapers in a 24hour period and at least one bowl movement a week you are fine.

Way too lazy for formula

thks for the quick advice ladies.
    She has at least 8 wet nappies and poops 1-2xs a day.

I feel so much more reassured now.

If it goes in, it comes out. She is eating. You are making enough. This is a good thing. You want this. To always make just the right amount.

Way too lazy for formula

agree with pp's. This is almost certainly normal. The only thing I would add is to ask if you have started on a hormone-based birth control method, as sometimes some of those can cause a decrease in milk supply.

Otherwise, just know it is very common to assume that something has happened to milk supply at around this age when actually all is well. The big mistake moms then do is think baby is hungry and start supplementing, which of course will actually lead to low supply overtime, so don't do that!

This artricle explains why moms commonly feel this way and what are NOT signs of low milk supply. Read the first section-"Is your supply really low?" http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

Hi ladies
    thanks for the link!
    The one thing bothering me is that she is not satisfied after nursing. She doesn't sleep after feeding now, and gets very angry and cries after nursing. I get the feeling that she is not full that's why she is still awake and crying. I have to rock her for ages before she sleeps.

My breasts are really very soft. But when I squeeze the nipple, milk still comes out.

And she hasn't pooped the whole day. She used to poop 1-2 times a day.

BUt this soft breast thing has only occurred since the past 2days. prior to that my breasts were very full.

Often when mom's supply adjusts, baby gets a bit upset. Very full breasts usually produce a very fast flow of milk. When supply regulates, flow Speed can slow down a lot. If baby got used to really fast, easy meals, she may be upset that she now has to work somewhat harder. Result: increased fussiness. Instead of rocking her, how about putting her back onto the breast? It's almost always easier to calm baby with the breast and more sucking time than with any other method.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

also, as babies grow they sleep less and less--fewer and shorter naps during the day. my LO used to fall asleep after EVERY feed (actually during the feed) up until she was about 2 or 3 months. then she started staying awake after some day feeds. if she's fussy she could also be uncomfortable (gassy, burpy etc).

the diaper count really is the key.

i also remember that at around 3 or 4 months i would have a random day when my supply was a bit lower. i have no idea why, as i usually have oversupply. so i would put her to the breast more often than usual (it mean sometimes every hour) and go back and forth between breasts at every feeding to get several let-downs. the next day my supply would be up again. what i learned is that the system is flexible and it is possible to build supply back up, esp. if you've had plenty for the first 6 weeks.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

with pp's.

Just a few things to add - what cues does she give you when she's done nursing? Is it possible that you're ending the session before she's ready? That could be why she gets upset

Also, as someone already pointed out, babies do sleep less as they get older. My LO used to sleep all the time when she was newborn, but as she got older she had more and more awake time. So don't stress if she doesn't go right to sleep, just let her look around or play for a bit.

As far as the poops go, they do poop less as they get older too. Around 2 m/o my LO went from pooping in practically every diaper to once every 1-3 days. Freaked me right out when it changed so quickly! So don't worry about that either...some babies go as long as a week between BM's. Totally normal

Sounds like you're doing a great job...babies like to change things up on us a lot!
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong