Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply and ong streches between feedings

Default Supply and ong streches between feedings

My baby is now 4 weeks old and has been gaining weight really well (around 7-8 ounces per week) even though the latch is not perfect yet (painful latch at the right breast, still wasn't able to figure this one out) and I had somewhat of a drop in supply due to clogged duct and mastitis.
    He sleeps a lot (but very active whrn awake) and I have been waking him up every 3-4 hours during the day and 4 h at night. He also nurses for about an hour at a time, cause he falls asleep after the first letdown and I have to really work a lot to keep him awake and drinking.
    We went to the pediatrician yesterday and he said not to wake him up and let him set the pace. I tried that and he made two 5 hour streches during the night. I woke up really full so I'm kind of worried about supply. I can't help but worry a lot about this cause I Eped with DS1 and I was always one bottle short. Can't seem to shake the idea that my supply will be low if I let him sleep through the night.
    So what should I do? wake him up? Pump during the night?
    And when do babies stop to fall asleep at the breast? Or is this because my flow is too slow?
    Lots of questions, I know ... Thank you for your help!

Default Re: Supply and ong streches between feed

I think the conservative course of action is to continue to wake the baby at night until he's 6 weeks, and then let him sleep long stretches if he likes. During the day, I would continue to wake him every 2-3 hours, because the more calories a baby takes in during the day, the more likely it is that he'll sleep nicely at night. (No guarantees, of course, especially once teething starts!)

Since you're nursing now, instead of EP, you don't have to worry about being short. The baby will be able to maintain your supply at the proper level by nursing more if he needs more milk, and going longer between feeds if he needs less. This beautiful system works even at night. Your body is surprisingly trainable, and when a baby sleeps long stretches your nighttime supply will decline but your daytime supply will stay adequate.

Babies generally start to wake up more between 3 and 6 weeks. It sounds like your little guy is still a sleepy one, so I see no harm and lots of potential benefit in continuing to wake him.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Supply and ong streches between feed

Hi mommal, once more, thanks for the great advice!