Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First time mom, with breastfeeding issue

Default First time mom, with breastfeeding issue

My son is one month old, weighs over 10 pounds. I have been breastfeeding since day one and I love it! LO feeds from breast every 2 to 3 hours and has one long stretch during the day lasting 4 to 5 hrs. During the first few minutes of feeding there is so much milk coming out he can barely take it. He will pull off and catch up, then latch back on. He has been staying on each breast for 20 to 30 minutes. Near the end he starts pulling and sucking very aggressively, and starts kicking and wiggling. I pull him off because it starts to hurt. Then an hour or less later he is screaming and acting as if he is hungry again. Is he feeding too long and creating an overproduction of milk? How long should I feed him each breast?

Default Re: First time mom, with breastfeeding i

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby! It sounds like nursing is really going basically well, and that what you really need to do is to work on the fine points. That's awesome for just one month in!

There's no real answer to your question about how long you should let your baby nurse. Nursing speed is higly variable withyoung babies. Some babies get full meals in just 5-10 minutes at the breast, others require closer to an hour. You want to allow your baby to finish the first breast at his own pace, and then offer the second breast, without stressing if he doesn't take it.

It sounds like you have a bit of a fast letdown problem- that's what's making baby gulp and unlatch at the beginning of the feedings. Fast letdowns are often a byproduct of milk overproduction, but you can have fast letdowns without overproducing, and overproduction is not triggered by long or frequent feedings. It's a fairly normal part of having a new baby- the body errs on the side of caution and produces too much milk in the early days/weeks, to make sure that the baby (or babies) gets fed while he masters the art of breastfeeding. Eventually feeding on demand will cause your supply to adjust to baby's demand, at which piont problems with fast letdowns should cease. Util then, I suggest trying to adopt reclined nursing positions, since gravity can help slow milk flow, and keeping some washcloths handy. You can allow the milk to spray or drip into the washcloth when baby pulls off during letdowns.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"