Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Freezer Space

Default Freezer Space

SO I have been pumping since my daughter was born in November.

I now realize that I was not storing properly and need to dipose of some of my stash. BUT my question has to do with storage space. I do not have a chest freezer so I have to store my stash in the freezer on top of my fridge. Space is limited so how do I actually make a good stash with limited space in this type of freezer?

Should I clear my milk out once a month, or use 1 or 2 bags of frozen a day to keep my stash fresh?

Any help would be greatly apprecaited!

~k

Default Re: Freezer Space

Rotate it. Don't toss it out!

If you look around, there is a link here where they use gift bags to organize and hold bags that are frozen flat so you can easily rotate them.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I rotated mine on Mondays - so I froze Thursday milk (I don't work on Friday) and then Monday would feed the oldest frozen milk.

Freeze the bags flat, like shingles. They take up less space that way.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks ladies! I forgot to put that my stash right now is just for emergencies as I pump today for tomorrows feedings. I am currently able to keep up with hre demand for daily feedings by pumping early morning and at work for the following day. I often have left overs or extra from Friday and Saturdays pump sessions that I want to keep but Just am not sure how to make it work. I need room in my freezer for food too!

Look at how many bags you have in there and decide how to rotate it. If you have 30 bags, use one bag every 1 to 3 days. This lets you rotate your stash every 90 days, which is the maximum for that type of freezer. If you notice freezer burn or something, rotate It faster. Some freezers like what you describe only keep the milk fresh for a month, somyou might need to account for that.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!