Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My son's weaning has begun

Default My son's weaning has begun

I know my son's weaning started back when he started solids but he has always loved to nurse and even though he is almost 3.5 he hasn't wanted to give it up yet and was still nursing 2-4 times a day. We have talked about weaning, read Maggie's Weaning, and discussed having a weaning party. This morning I got home from work and was discussing my daughters' upcoming birthday party and if they would like to go ice skating and my son said I do I want to go ice skating for my weaning party (the funny part is I didn't understand what he was saying I made him repeat weaning 3 times until my husband translated it for me. So I told him he could have his weaning party there but he couldn't nurse for 2 weeks. I guess he really loves to ice skate because he didn't nurse once. He didn't even ask. I was sleeping most of the day because I work nights but he woke me once to get him a drink and snack while my husband was at church and he didn't ask. Then when I woke to leave again for work he was taking a nap. I commented to my husband this was his first day without nursing and one of daughters excitedly said Dane's weaned. I had to explain to her it probably wouldn't happen that fast but this was a start. Then I got a little teary eyed. Never would have thought I would have nursed him so long but I will miss it when he's done. Just thought I'd share have really enjoyed reading some of your ladies weaning stories.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

Default Re: My son's weaning has begun

Awh.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Yeah. The first time we went 24hours.. I remember feeling it. And then 2 days. And then 3. It didn't happen all at once...but it was all major in terms of hitting milestones. Journal it here. So you can look back on the Journey. This IS the first step. We forget stuff. So much stuff. More than we ever remember. So write it down. So you can always access these feelings. I love being able to come here and see how I was feeling year two, three, and the whole time between 4 when I wanted to be done and 4.5 when we actually WERE done. It's good to be able to come back and touch it.

Way too lazy for formula

. I know how you feel. Happy, sad, emotional, proud and a million others. What a beautiful way to wean, or begin to...on his own terms with comfort and fondness as his memory of nursing.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

It was a great week his nursing has changed so much. The days he takes naps he really wants to nurse to sleep but somedays he doesn't take naps. Then usually when he wakes up from a nap he always wants to nurse but this week I can just remember one time that he needed to nurse after a nap. I am going to start a new thread with a question but my son is all of a sudden very excited about the weaning party where he can have it who he can invite. When he wants to nurse I gently remind him he doesn't get the party until he's weaned for 2 weeks sometimes that changes his mind or he'll only nurse briefly but there are no tears which is great for both of us.
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Well it's pretty official. LO is weaned. He went a whole week I did nurse briefly 3 days ago because he was so upset but other that that time it's been mostly tearless. We bought him a bike with training wheels as his weaning present. He still asks all the time probably about 5-10 times a day which is funny cause he wasn't nursing that much but he's easily distracted. I just have to watch myself it feels like such a reflex to just give him the boob. I miss it. I probably wouldn't have pressed so hard but my 14 yo sis came to live with me and I knew she would thing it was totally bizarre plus I am 6 weeks pregnant so everything worked out well. I am just glad I can look forward to breastfeeding my new LO.
    who are now 8.