Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increasing On One Side

Default Increasing On One Side

So basically R side produces ~2oz when pumping at work, and L side is ~1oz (this is on tons of Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, and water). Since DD with us, she sleepnurses throughout the night. I am uncomfortable allowing her to be near the edge of the bed so she sleeps between DH and I, I'm on my right side. The layout of my bedroom prevents moving the bed sideways against a wall, and I just haven't ordered a railing.
    Basically, since she nurses from R all night and the supply is greater, would it be a good idea to spend some time sleeping on my L side to try to increase my output on that side?
    Married 10/30/10 to DH Ryan
    DD Ruby 9/20/11

Currently and learning

I breastfeed because I couldn't produce enough formula.

Default Re: Increasing On One Side

Or try leaning over and nursing from the top breast However, you may always be uneven. You would think I would be even with the pumping --- I pump both sides just as much, at the same time -- but I'm not. One side can make 8-12 oz in a sitting, and the other makes that total on a good day when I was pumping 8 times a day. So, to have a difference in production is normal.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Increasing On One Side

I am lopsided as well, and the funny thing is that it has changed a couple times. When I first started pumping a few weeks pp my left produced much more. Then at around 4 months the right side was the better producer. Now the left produces slightly more again... though both are pretty much duds at this point ;__;

For what its worth, I let my son sleep on the side of the bed with no rail. I have a pillow on the floor there, and our bed is not very high. I also have his head nestled in the crook of my arm and tuck the sheet around him to secure him in place.
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!