Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Loss of suction in 10 week old baby

Default Loss of suction in 10 week old baby

Hi Everyone - after reading the forums over the last couple of days, this is my first post

My 10 week old baby seems to have lost "suction" (i don't know how else to describe it) She used to be like a vacuum with a strong attachment to the breast. In the past couple of weeks, she doesn't seem to be sucking as hard. Her mouth is still fully enclosing the nipple, but if I pull my breast from her mouth, it just comes out. (I don't need to break the seal) There is the "clicking" noise of an incorrect latch some of the time, and milk leaks out the side of her mouth sometimes.

Having said all that, she is happy and content. I get the occasional scream on breast and she does throw her head side to side alot. She sleeps well, eats regularly and has perfect weight gain. I have no soreness. She also rarely cries and smiles all the time.

She also has a new trick of looking at me and trying to smile when on the breast which isn't helping either.

Am I worried about nothing?

Default Re: Loss of suction in 10 week old baby

I felt like that too with my 9 wk old baby, then I realized I just got used to her strong latch. Had you told me it wouldn't bother me anymore 2 months ago, I probably would have called you a liar! Could that be the case with you, maybe your just accustomed to her latch?
    Darci

married to the love of my life 3/25/11
    EBF to my sweet little Annabelle 11/10/11

If it was just that, I wouldn't be able to pull her from the nipple...

It did seem to coincide with shorter feedings (entire feeding both sides including nappy change and burping is less than 30 minutes now. It used to take over an hour). Maybe she is just done which is why she comes off the breast so easily?

I guess as a first time mum, I just worry about everything lol

she might be done much faster now. Try taking her off just after she starts and see how strong she is That said, latches change over time. As long as its not hurting and results in effective milk transfer, it's all good.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree with aprilsmagic. One other thing to consider is if you have forceful letdown and baby does not need good suction because the milk is coming so easily. The clicking sound, shortened feeds and the milk dribling sound like possible forceul letdown. But, if the forceful letdown is not a problem, then its nothing to worry about.

She also has a new trick of looking at me and trying to smile when on the breast which isn't helping either.
    aww cutie!

Thanks guys - I think I do have a forceful letdown, as after I get out of the bath/shower, it will literally spray everywhere. It doesn't dribble - it sprays! Maybe she just doesn't have to put the effort in as much to get the milk to come out. I guess as long as she is getting what she needs, and I have no pain, it is all good.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gimiky View Post
    That's adorable! My LO has discovered new fun with intense let-downs. He'll start sucking, get the ball rolling, and then pop off, watching the spray go everywhere.