Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question for those who feed their baby baby food

Default question for those who feed their baby baby food

I'm wondering what the difference is between level 1, 2 & 3 in baby food? How do you know when to switch from one to the other? There aren't any details on the packages from what I can tell. TIA!

Default Re: question for those who feed their baby baby food

As near as I can tell it has to do with the size of the container, and the variety of foods. Supposedly they have differing textures too (more texture and more variety the higher in number you go up), but it seems to me they are all pureed. That's why I make my own!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I'd like to make my own and I'd like to give him some pieces of regular fruit/veggies but I'm soooooo scared of choking. I've never had a CPR class let alone infant CPR knowledge. I guess one day he'll have to eat solid solids, but I'm too scared for now!

erin is right...the jars are bigger as the stage is higher. also the foods supposedly get a bit chunkier and have more texture. i started dd on solids almost 2 weeks ago. she's a champ at swallowing her food! i think once baby is able to swallow stage 1 foods and is able to finish a jar within a couple of meals, then he/she is ready for stage 2. my dd can almost finish one stage 1 jar of earth's best peas for dinner. also, once you've tried all the stage 1 foods (fruits and veggies), you should be able to move unto stage 2 (since stage 2 seems to be combinations/variations of foods introduced in stage 1).

HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I LOVE this web-site that I am using

www.wholesomebabyfoods.com

I still puree AJ's food but it still has more texture than the actual store bought foods. It's easy, it's quick, he loves it, and we're having a blast!! Let me know what you think of the site.

Shannon- What part of the website to you use? Do you order food online? I clicked on it but it goes to an online grocer site, not sure where to go from there! Are there tips on pureeing? Sorry if I'm dense!

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/#Wh...%20Your%20Baby

try that link. I don't order anything, they just have great recipes. Sorry, I might have given you the wrong address. Let me know if you get it.I figured out what happened, I added an "s" on the end of "food" Sorry
    \
    Last edited by AJsmommy; November 9th, 2006 at 02:08 PM.

Stage 1 is also just single foods, so you can make sure there are no allergies, etc. Stage 2 and 3 mix foods together.

as the pps said the differences is mostly in the texture and how big the jar size is. btw AJsmommy that website is really neat.

I pureed for a while and now we are into the chopped mode, or smashed mode. Making your own puree still has way more texture because a lot of those foods are strained too (bleck!). That's great for beginners, but after a while they like to try new textures!

I have a little blender that is made for baby food, but if I make a large enough quantity, I just use my regular kitchenaid blender and puree or chop, and then put it into containers and freeze. It works really great. Here is one of Haylee's favorites:

2 apples
    1 banana
    1/2 c prunes
    1/2 c raisins
    1/4 c whole oats
    1/2 tsp fresh ground cinammon

To cook, chop up the fruit and add water to cover (the amount of water can decrease as you go, to increase texture). Cook until apple is tender. Then puree (now I am chopping this). She devours it and the prunes counteract the bananas, because we did have problems with constipation.

After you have made a few recipes, you will be more inclined to experiment...this is one that I adapted from some others that she liked. Mostly, now, I just put whatever in a pan and cook it up .

Also, if you are worried about choking a great first time self feeding food is very ripe bananas, sliced lengthwise into quarters. They can get their hands around it and if a chunk does break off, it is easy to mush between gums, and easy to swallow without mushing!

Happy feeding!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes