Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: dd and ss issue

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    177

    Default dd and ss issue

    hi

    i'm a first-time mum of a 10-week old wee man.

    in the initial 2 months, i was diligently pumping/direct feeding my bb every 3 hours leading to a HUGE ss of milk and no more storage space. since then, i've decided to be a SAHM and therefore do not need to store up much milk anymore. so, since last weekend i've decided to pump less and direct feed even more. as a result, i've had to deal with several issues... pls advise.

    1. my bb tends to nurse on one side per feeding. what do i do about the other side? since his daytime feedings are every 2 to 3 hours, it would mean that the other breast may not get attention for a good 4 to 6 hours! do i pump or leave it? i'm worried about engorgement which i had just a few days back when i had just started this new routine. does this mean that right now, my ss exceeds dd and the body is still trying to equalise?

    2. this problem is exacerbated in the nite becos the interval between feedings is longer. therefore, the other breast may not be fed for up to 8 hours! do i pump? will my ss drop if i don't?

    3. if he only nurses on one side (and sometimes it can be as quick as 5 min), does that mean that one breast has more than enough for him? should the 'goal' be for him to feel full after nursing from two sides?

    4. i used to be able to pump up to 3 to 4 oz per side (ie, 6 to 7 oz both sides). however, when i used to bottlefeed him EBM, i noticed he'd only take anything from 2 to 3 oz, occasionally 4. being a 'numbers' freak, that would mean that i'm overproducing, hence his one-sided feeding, right? so if i just direct feed and follow his lead, theoretically, each breast would only produce about 2 oz (based on current figures)?

    he still pees and poos a lot each day.

    pls advise. thanks!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: dd and ss issue

    Well to sum up a simple but perfect answer for you here, if you plan on just bf without the bottles at all just go along with ds and follow his cue when he wants to nurse and how much he wants to nurse for. That's the good thing about bf you never know how much they get, but knowing that they will nurse enough to be full. If ds only wants to nurse one breast at a time just do that. Don't worry about time between feedings, if the engorment is too much to handle express just enough to be comfortable. About the pumping question, you can never pump the amount that a baby can extract from the breast. I'm like you I might not even feel full, but I can hand express even up to 8 oz from both breast after two hours of feeding. But I do know ds is taking in almost 6 oz a feed. So like you I have over supply and I like to keep it somewhat like that so when a grow spurt hits not so hard on me. Hope that helps some.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    290

    Default Re: dd and ss issue

    Quote Originally Posted by snort

    1. my bb tends to nurse on one side per feeding. what do i do about the other side? since his daytime feedings are every 2 to 3 hours, it would mean that the other breast may not get attention for a good 4 to 6 hours! do i pump or leave it? i'm worried about engorgement which i had just a few days back when i had just started this new routine. does this mean that right now, my ss exceeds dd and the body is still trying to equalise?
    Following your baby's lead and nursing him when he desires will be your best bet at having a supply to match his needs. Many moms with oversupply issues find that nursing one side per feeding helps manage this better. If the other side gets uncomfortable, express ONLY enough to relieve the pressure. This eases your discomfort but does not stimulate your supply. In a few days it will subside and your body will adjust to the new feeding pattern.

    Quote Originally Posted by snort
    2. this problem is exacerbated in the nite becos the interval between feedings is longer. therefore, the other breast may not be fed for up to 8 hours! do i pump? will my ss drop if i don't?
    Only pump if you need to relieve pressure that is uncomfortable, but the same thing happens at night as during the day. Your body will adjust to his sleeping patterns. Eight hours is a blessing for moms of babies his age! Be sure that during the day he nurses at least 8-12 times since he sleeps so long.

    Quote Originally Posted by snort
    3. if he only nurses on one side (and sometimes it can be as quick as 5 min), does that mean that one breast has more than enough for him? should the 'goal' be for him to feel full after nursing from two sides?
    What is meant by 'one side per feeding' is assigning one breast for two hours of feedings. Many babies are satisifed with only one breast per feeding, and some want more. It's also not uncommon for babies who usually nurse one breast per feeding to occasionally want a little extra from the other side, especially during a growth spurt. Let your baby be your guide. They know when they are hungry and will let you know!

    Quote Originally Posted by snort
    4. i used to be able to pump up to 3 to 4 oz per side (ie, 6 to 7 oz both sides). however, when i used to bottlefeed him EBM, i noticed he'd only take anything from 2 to 3 oz, occasionally 4. being a 'numbers' freak, that would mean that i'm overproducing, hence his one-sided feeding, right? so if i just direct feed and follow his lead, theoretically, each breast would only produce about 2 oz (based on current figures)?
    Babies stomachs are about the size of their closed fist. It would be so helpful if we had ounce marks on our breasts, but we don't! Your body will make the amount of milk your baby needs and this will change as his needs change as long as you are nursing on demand.

    As long as he is having at least 6-8 wet diapers daily, nurses at least 8-12 times in a 24 hour period, weight is steadily increasing, he is meeting developmental milestons and most of the time is content after a feeding, then you are producing an adequate supply of milk. At 10 weeks, he may or may not have a bowel movement every day, but as long as his bm's are consistent then that is fine.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    2,601

    Default Re: dd and ss issue

    I have a wee man that is usually a one man breast baby also. At times when I would be engorged I would just hand express enough to be comfortable,in a few day my body would readjust to his feedings, that is until the next growth spurt etc. LOL

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    177

    Default Re: dd and ss issue

    thank you so much, Tanya for your detailed answers to my long-winded questions. It took about a week and some for my breasts to get to where my bb is in terms of need. now, i worry he's not getting enough becos sometimes he sucks on his hands after feeding (on both sides!!). however, he does poo quite a bit still, a few times a day. as for pee, we use cloth nappies, so i'm not too sure what's considered 'normal'. i could possibly go through one cloth nappy every half hour or so sometimes.

    also, bb feeds only about 8 to 9 times in a 24-hour period, spread out quite evenly every 2 to 3 hours except for nites. like last nite, he went for up to 5 hours without feeds. i must say i don't have that feeling of fullness anymore which makes me now worry about ss. i've half a mind to start pumping again, just to be on the safe side....

    gee, i didn't realise how 'stressful' bf could be, wondering abt whether bb's had enough.

    Brittany, Sheena... thanks for the insights. appreciate your replies... i so enjoy bf my bb. my DH is kinda sad tho, since i decided to fully direct feed. he so enjoyed bottle feeding bb my EBM. well, i let him burp bb...

    Tanya, CONGRATS on bb #3!! i so want to have another and will try in about 4 months?

    Snort
    mummy to wee man bb lucas, born 12/5/05 (oops, he should be 12 weeks, and not 10!!)
    Last edited by snort; February 27th, 2006 at 11:49 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    683

    Default Re: dd and ss issue

    Try not to worry and try as hard as you can to trust in your body. Your body made that baby, didn't it?! There's no reason to believe that it won't continue to do exactly as it was designed to do!

    The best indication that baby is getting enough is his wet diaper output. Baby should be having at least 6-8 wet cloth diapers per 24 hour period. And if he's having at least 3 to 4 bowel movements in that same time, great! Although keep in mind that once babies hit about the 6 week mark many will often stop going poo everyday and will go only occasionally (sporadic and perhaps only every few weeks!).

    The ONLY indication of true low milk supply is baby's failure to gain weight. You are approaching the point where your milk supply is stabilizing so you won't feel "full" all the time anymore. That's okay! Many mom's mistake this for a supply issue but it isn't. Keep feeding your baby as he demands it and you won't go wrong! Keep up the great work!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    290

    Default Re: dd and ss issue

    Quote Originally Posted by snort
    now, i worry he's not getting enough becos sometimes he sucks on his hands after feeding (on both sides!!). however, he does poo quite a bit still, a few times a day. as for pee, we use cloth nappies, so i'm not too sure what's considered 'normal'. i could possibly go through one cloth nappy every half hour or so sometimes.
    I'm glad we were all able to answer some of your questions. Some babies have a more intense need to suck than others. Many babies will find their fingers or thumbs around this age. My dd still sucks two fingers on her right hand, and I think she found them about 3-4 months. It's normal to have more wet diapers when using cloth. That's a good sign he is getting enough!

    Quote Originally Posted by snort
    like last nite, he went for up to 5 hours without feeds. i must say i don't have that feeling of fullness anymore which makes me now worry about ss. i've half a mind to start pumping again, just to be on the safe side....
    One 4-6 hour stretch of sleep in a 24 hour period at this age is normal, and it's good that he already does it at night instead of during the day! Enjoy the rest you get during that time. His output is very good, so you can rest easy about supply or pumping. If you ever wonder about it, count wet and dirty diapers for 24 hours to see if he's got appropriate output. After all, what goes in must come out!

    Wondering if your baby gets enough milk is the #1 concern for many breastfeeding mothers. Everything you have described sounds like a normal, healthy milk supply.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    177

    Default Re: dd and ss issue

    thank you carol and tanya. my latest update on the situation... i still pump once a day at about midnite becos with his one-sided feeding, my right breast feels hard by about 4 to 5 hours and if i don't pump, i might end up going for up to 8 hours or more without release. i normally release about 2 oz. seems like the late nite pumping is going to be a routine for now?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    683

    Default Re: dd and ss issue

    If you continue to pump that breast at midnight then it will continue to produce milk. Try pumping just enough off to relieve the uncomfortableness. Over the course of a few nights your supply in that breast should adjust and soon you won't need to pump at all

    Keep up the great work - you are doing so well!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    177

    Default Re: dd and ss issue

    hi carol... you know what? i'm just going to go with the flow becos his feeding schedule...well, there is no feeding schedule! some nites he goes up to 6 hours without a feed at nite and other nites, he wakes every 3 to 4 hours. when i feel the lumps, i pump. if not, i sleep!

    thanks so much to all who've helped me...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •