Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overactive let-down

Default overactive let-down

hi
    wondering if i have it (overactive let-down) as my baby seems to have some symptoms of reflux.ultarsound is on tuesday toc heck reflux.
    while feeding on one breast, the other one drips for a while

Default Re: overactive let-down

Moving this to production issues where it will recieve more replies.

hope all went well with the u/s!

my dd was misdiagnosed with reflux as a newborn. the doctor i spoke with didn't ask any questions about my let-down or mikl supply, and when i said that she would pull off the breast when the milk would come he said that this was a sign of reflux.

he recommended that i hold her upright for a half an hour after each feeding.

i knew this wasnt right because she was never spitting up and even after holding her up she still would come on and off the breast during feedings!

it was the LLL site that guided me aright-i read about hyperlactation and i knew that was the issue. the milk would come out so fast and strong that dd was pulling off to catch her breath!

ive read that reflux and reactions to hyperlactation can get confused with one another, so its something to keep in mind.

Can you describe for us what your symptoms of OALD (over-active let-down) are as well as the baby's symptoms of reflux?

Yes please.i would be very much interested to know the signs of reflux
    our son (dec 15 born) has fussyiness and intense crying about 1 feeding per day or so.spitting about 4-5 times-milk or curdled milk.i want to know too if our doctor diagnsoed him fine.
    regarding my doubt if i was overactively letting down.the other breast would drip and sometime spray.

Thanks

I'm certainly not a reflux expert but I think that if baby had reflux he'd be screaming shortly after every feeding.

How long does he cry for? Does he ever appear to have a sour look on his face? Spitting up is normal for babies. It's also normal for one breast to leak or even spray while the other one is being nursed from. It's the milk letting down.

OALD is apparent when baby has to really gulp to keep up with your milk during let-down. Many babies will pull off of the breast or clamp down on it. With OALD, your milk sprays out so forcefully that it is very difficult for baby to keep up with. Babies with mom's who have OALD tend to need to be burped often during feedings.

Has your baby been like this since he was very small or is this something that has just started? When does his crying start and how long does it last for? How do you cure it or does he just eventually stop on his own? What do you do when he starts crying?

Again, sorry for all the questions!

Thanks for the reply
    How long does he cry for?
    (1)he cries for like 10 seconds and sleeps immediately (temporarliy and wakes up)
    (2)if he cries intensely, like 1-2 feedings per day or sometomes never ina day, he does it for longer like 20s econds or so and we have to hold hil in semi slant position and distract him so much to make him stop crying.

Does he ever appear to have a sour look on
    his face? he gets tears in his eyes when he cries internsely like i described in (2) above

Has your baby been like this since he was very small or is this
    something that has just started?
    initially he had latch on problems and he probally started feeding about 4 th week i think.he did it well and slept happily after feeding but that was for 1-2 days as after that had some gas problems and i had to cut down my milk and other things till now. in my diet.

When does his crying start and how long does
    it last for? he cries during second breat offering or in second dose.bys econd dose i mean after he sucks for a while, starins to get a poop, plays for a while (all abbout 5-10 minutes, poops due to gastro colic reflex) and tehn starts feeding when he pulls off or stiffens or pulls/strecthes with nipple in mouth , etc.

How do you cure it or does he just eventually stop on his
    own?sometimes he stops on his own if it is crying as in (1) above.i put him cheeck to cheek, talk to him, sway gently or stand up an hold him semi upright porisiion or walk him in a jiggly way.

What do you do when he starts crying?
    (as above)

looking forward to replies,
    tahnks

sa -
    Spitting up, pulling off the breast and crying are signs of reflux but so are other things. Overactive let-down & food sensitivities are big ones that causes those exact things and I think it's important to rule those out.

As I mentioned, I'm not a reflux expert but I've heard a lot of reflux stories so really all I have is antedotal information. I'm going to give you another link though that is not LLL-approved -- it may help you more: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html & this one has a bit of information on baby being fussy at the breast and pulling off, as you describe: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html These links really should help you out.

Please let us know how the ultrasound on Tuesday goes

Here is a link to an LLL article on overactive letdown
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...pOct95p71.html
    Overactive Let-Down: Consequences and Treatments

Thansk for the link and info
    ultraqsoiund went fine.they said his muscle was fine which is needed for closing the stomach
    doc prescibed xantac
    we havent used it
    intense crying is not that much
    so we are still collecting all info we can to analyse his symptoms
    i have also read much on overactive let down
    i am confused if this is food sesnitivity (since a week i am on a special diet avoiding most doubtful foods)
    i look forward to any other useful info so i can pin point what this is or if i ccan let this go as his body matures to take care of itself in next few montsh
    tahnsk