Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting solids

Default Starting solids

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm wondering how often should you offer solids when first starting? My daughter is 23 weeks and we have given her rice cereal and applesauce. Any suggestions on how often we should offer solids?

Thanks!!

Default Re: Starting solids

baby led weaning/baby led solids (BLS) is what we did and it was great.

with any introduction of solids you want to nurse before and after. solids are for exploration/learning before a year

I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    solids are for exploration/learning before a year
    You want to offer tastes, not meals. A teaspoon or so of solids per day, at first. Maybe a dab of solids placed on the tongue so baby can have a new experience. Don't think in terms of baby consuming entire "servings" of cereal or entire jars of puree. The only people who think those serving sizes are right for an infant are the people who are trying to get you to buy lots more of their product.

Breastmilk is the healthiest thing your baby will ever eat. You want to maximize her intake of it, and not replace it with solids to any large extent until she is at least close to a year old.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"