Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple pain all of a sudden

Default Nipple pain all of a sudden

I am having nipple pain only on my right side. My baby is 4 1/2 months old and nurses on demand. I do pump while at work and the last shift I worked was Thursday night. I don't see ant signs of thrush. Could it just be the cold weather causing chapped nipple? Any ideas?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Default Re: Nipple pain all of a sudden

maybe the baby was just positioned awkwardly.

you can have thrush without any clear signs. is it just on the outside? i would apply some cream if that is the case. ideally all purpose nipple ointment

Just on the bottom side of my right nipple. It kinda feels chapped. Where can I get nipple ointment?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

i think you need a script for the all purpose and a pharmacist that will put it together. i dont have that as your dr or widwife.

if it is just chapped i used lansioh, i had a sore spot today randomly and put on a bunch and covered with a nursing pad. seems better already. good luck.

If it's only one side, I would probably assume as a starting point that it isn't thrush and try treating it just with lanolin. If that doesn't work, you may be looking at something else. It could just have been a bad/lazy latch from one or two sessions, that can happen. If that's the case, it should heal up pretty quickly. If it doesn't, you may want to have it looked at. Another possibility is the beginnings of a milk blister, or bleb, on the nipple.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Sometimes pumping causes soreness from rubbing due to ill fitting breast sheilds (fit can change over time) or a malfunctioning pump motor, which can make the pump rev to high. (for lack of a better description.) Is it comfortable to pump, can you adjust the setting down and feel an increase in comfort? Does your nipple move freely into and out of the tunnel without pulling too much of your areola in with it? Or does it rub?

Other suggestion-try different nursing positions. Baby is growing and what worked at two months may no longer allow for a comfortable latch.