Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New here, need advice :)

Default New here, need advice :)

Hi all! Nice to join the boards!

My LO is 7 weeks and he's a great eater. I altnerate between bottle and breast (please don't kick me, I have to go back to work in a month and they dont exactly have a breast pumping room and I can't close my office door because my office houses our file library and some closet keys that my side of the floor needs to get to, sigh). Anyhoo, my first son I didnt breastfeed for long because I didn't produce enough milk and it was so hard for me to find my footing with it, so this time around I am breastfeeding as much as I can. We do feeding on demand, and it seems he eats almost every hour. Now I know he's getting milk and I feel the milk come down every time. Here's my question: because he feeds so frequently and doesn't stay on my breast for long how do I know he's getting enough? He has a lot of wet nappies, and wet poopie, so I guess I gauge it that way? I just worry that it isn't enough. He has gained weight, but how do I know that its me and not the bottled milk? And does what I eat affect his skin? He has some baby acne and I'm hoping that its not because of what i eat. I don't drink or do drugs, but I do have a glass or two of Pepsi every other day and I feel badly about it! Is that dumb? I drink a lot of milk and seltzer water but I do love my soda, and I'm hoping that doesn't affect my newborn I don't go past two glasses but i still feel badly.

Also, considering my work situation, do I wean him off now? I go back to work the second week of February or do I keep at it til my milk dries up? Breastfeeding is hard for me, the physical sensation doesn't feel good to me, but I do it for my baby so I'm able to get past that feeling. I want to do it for as long as I can.

Well, thanks in advance!
    Last edited by @llli*palvarad1; January 15th, 2012 at 01:20 PM.

Default Re: New here, need advice :)

If baby has enough wet diapers, enough poops that look normal, and baby is gaining weight, then all is week

I drink some soda, and it's fine.

I personally wouldn't wean, and I'd find a way to pump at work. And I'd be pretty vocal about it honestly.

I don't care for the sensation either...but breastfeeding is easy, way, way easier than bottles. And the relationship is very cool. I miss it with my fourth baby so much.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I wouldnt wean. I agree with pp. I would find a way to pump at work. Every place should make it possible for you. And if you choose not to then at least breastfeed when you are home with him. It sounds like he is getting plenty of milk so don't worryt about that. Also the bond of bfing can last a lifetime for both mom and baby. And don't worry no one will kick you for supplementing with formula. We all try to do what works for us and our babies. I agree bfing is waaaaaaay easier than preparing bottles. And as you know of course better for baby. And mom for that matter. Would you like some info on some of the extra benefits for both mom and baby? Good luck mama!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I altnerate between bottle and breast (please don't kick me, I have to go back to work in a month and they dont exactly have a breast pumping room and I can't close my office door because my office houses our file library and some closet keys that my side of the floor needs to get to, sigh).
    Not planning to kick you, but I don't understand why the fact you are going back to work in a month means you have to alternate betwen nursing and bottles now. If you are concerned baby will refuse bottles when you return to work, an occasional bottle (one every other day or so) should take care of that. I can think of many reasons why it would be good in your circumstance to not give bottles now. 1) If you don't give bottles now, you can save any milk you manage to pump in the freezer for when you go back to work. 2) You can relax and enjoy this precious time at home with your baby without having to pump or worry about bottles so much. 3) You can keep your milk supply up better by more frequent nursing than a combo of pumping and nursing. Even the best pumps are not as good as baby-not by a long shot-at extracting milk and keeping your supply up.

because he feeds so frequently and doesn't stay on my breast for long how do I know he's getting enough? He has a lot of wet nappies, and wet poopie, so I guess I gauge it that way? I just worry that it isn't enough. He has gained weight, but how do I know that its me and not the bottled milk?
    I assume you did mean you give your baby your own pumped breastmilk in a bottle, and not donated milk or formula? In that case, what makes you think you do not make enough? If you can get it out with a pump, baby could get it out when nursing. (Unless something is very wrong with babies ability to nurse.) If you are supplementing with donated milk or a milk substitute, that is different. For exclusively breasfed/breastmilk fed babies, yes, you tell if they are getting enough by output and weight gain. Nursing very frequently is normal and does not mean poor intake unless there are other signs of that.

Also, considering my work situation, do I wean him off now? I go back to work the second week of February or do I keep at it til my milk dries up?
    Of course it is up to you if and when you want to wean, but there is no reason to wean now due to returning to work in a month. For one thing, your milk will take time to "dry up." You may very likely be able to keep nursing when you are with your baby even if baby is getting formula when you are at work and you are not pumping at work. But you need to be aware that you will be in danger of engorgement at wok if there is no way to express during the day. This is a potential health issue for you. Have you looked into what breastfeeding/pumping at work laws or policies may be in effect in your area? best contact for this would be your local La Leche League or local Breastfeeding Coalition. Have you discussed this with your boss, human resources, your bosses boss, etc? Morally, I strongly believe you have the human right to feed your baby as you see fit and at the very least express your milk in private to avoid engorgement and attendant issues when back at work.

Breastfeeding is hard for me, the physical sensation doesn't feel good to me, but I do it for my baby so I'm able to get past that feeling. I want to do it for as long as I can.
    Not all mothers adore breastfeeding, but biologically we are designed to find breastfeeding at the very least tolerable. Have you looked into what may be causing your discomfort? Many moms nurse in uncomfortable positions, or have lingering latch issues. Some find breastfeeding brings on discomfort or negative feelings due to past issues with abuse or body image.

Many of the moms on here who work outside of the home work at offices that do not have dedicated pumping rooms. While it certainly is not ideal, I have pumped in bathrooms, closets and my car. If you get any sort of a break during the day, you should be able to, and certainly have the right to, pump. Nursing covers can hide a pump well, and hands free bras can allow you to pump and eat lunch or drive your car at the same time. The choice of when to wean is up to you. I do not want to pressure you into nursing if you do not want to, but at the same time you do not need to feel forced to wean simply because you are returning to work.