Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5mo refusing to nurse, refusing bottle

Default 5mo refusing to nurse, refusing bottle

Hi... I have been lurking in the forums a while, but never posted, as I usually get my answer that way... But not this time. My DS has been refusing to nurse off and on for a few weeks now, and is now refusing to nurse at all. I was able to nurse him is he was sleepy enough and could get him to nurse at night. He is now refusing entirely, despite changing positions, nursing in quiet locations, etc. I've talked with two lactation consultants, and have tried all their suggestions. I have been pumping to keep up my supply, but now he is refusing the bottle too. I eliminated most allergens from my diet when he was a newbie (no dairy, soy, wheat, only one cup of decaf coffee a day). I am getting so stressed out, and thought about buying formula today but I really don't want to (plus I think he'll have allergies to it anyway).

Any thoughts? I am starting to feel like a total failure.

Default Re: 5mo refusing to nurse, refusing bott

i can sympathize with you... my LO will be 5 mo on the 24th and she too is refusing to nurse... here lately she hasnt seemed to been eating as much. i am a full time nursing student and we have to supplement with formula while i am in class (usually 3- 4oz bottles a day, if that) but now she is refusing to nurse during the day and will only nurse if you give the breast after she drifts off to sleep or laying down in the bed ( like we do at nighttime, we co sleep) so it is really worrying me. i have tried give a bottle for a bit then introduce the breast, but she isnt having it, tried new positions, not having that either.. she screams and arches her back. it has gotten the point of every time she is even laid in our usual nursing position she isnt happy.

one thing i have read about "nursing strikes" have been that it can be caused by, new foods, new smell (ex. changing soaps), extra vitamins in milk changing the taste, period coming along or pregnancy.

My son is now 8 weeks and I also have the same problem occasionally. He also prefer to lie down and nurse but only when he feels like it. Also arches back and kicks. I've noticed that he is doing this when he is tired, or if he only wants a sip and not a full feed. He drinks very good during night. My problem is more during day and especially difficult before bedtime in evening. I have two older children and its difficult to cope with his issues if you have other children to look after as well. I am also considering to stop breastfeeding, as I don't feel up to a struggle. Will keep an eye on this post to see if someone has a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*uliswoolies View Post
    Hi... I have been lurking in the forums a while, but never posted, as I usually get my answer that way... But not this time. My DS has been refusing to nurse off and on for a few weeks now, and is now refusing to nurse at all. I was able to nurse him is he was sleepy enough and could get him to nurse at night. He is now refusing entirely, despite changing positions, nursing in quiet locations, etc. I've talked with two lactation consultants, and have tried all their suggestions. I have been pumping to keep up my supply, but now he is refusing the bottle too. I eliminated most allergens from my diet when he was a newbie (no dairy, soy, wheat, only one cup of decaf coffee a day). I am getting so stressed out, and thought about buying formula today but I really don't want to (plus I think he'll have allergies to i
    Any thoughts? I am starting to feel like a total failure.
    Are you sure he doesn't have acid reflux? Babies who don't want to eat anything may have more going on than previously thought. How are his wets and poops? Is he on solids?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*taylorsmommy View Post
    i can sympathize with you... my LO will be 5 mo on the 24th and she too is refusing to nurse... here lately she hasnt seemed to been eating as much. i am a full time nursing student and we have to supplement with formula while i am in class (usually 3- 4oz bottles a day, if that) but now she is refusing to nurse during the day and will only nurse if you give the breast after she drifts off to sleep or laying down in the bed ( like we do at nighttime, we co sleep) so it is really worrying me. i have tried give a bottle for a bit then introduce the breast, but she isnt having it, tried new positions, not having that either.. she screams and arches her back. it has gotten the point of every time she is even laid in our usual nursing position she isnt happy.

one thing i have read about "nursing strikes" have been that it can be caused by, new foods, new smell (ex. changing soaps), extra vitamins in milk changing the taste, period coming along or pregnancy.
    strike or simply prefers a bottle, which is a slippery slope to EPing for you. If you can, ditch the bottle, or find a bottle much harder to drink from. There was some good stuff posted in the last few days about this.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yolandi View Post
    My son is now 8 weeks and I also have the same problem occasionally. He also prefer to lie down and nurse but only when he feels like it. Also arches back and kicks. I've noticed that he is doing this when he is tired, or if he only wants a sip and not a full feed. He drinks very good during night. My problem is more during day and especially difficult before bedtime in evening. I have two older children and its difficult to cope with his issues if you have other children to look after as well. I am also considering to stop breastfeeding, as I don't feel up to a struggle. Will keep an eye on this post to see if someone has a solution.
    Acid reflux comes to mind. I will tell you this -- I have four kids, and I pump for my fourth -- bottles are NOT easier. Breastfeeding will be easier in the long run, especially if you have older kids. But something is going on, and I would suggest you start your own thread so you can get specific questions and assistance
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with aprilsmagic. When a baby goes on a nursing strike at such a young age, there's often a physical reason behind it. In addition to reflux, I'm thinking teething, ear infection, or other illness. I would see the doc to get an opinion on what is going on.

This is an useful link on nursing strikes: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"