Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: POOP!

Question POOP!

So I couldn't decide if I should post this here but here it goes anyways:

My son is now getting a jar of baby food at dinner. That's it. The rest of the time he only gets breast. There have been days of no poop and then days of a marble sized ball of poop and THAT'S IT! Is this normal???

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Default Re: POOP!

Was the marble sized ball of poop hard/firm? What kind of baby food is he getting?

If you think he might be constipated (if the poop is hard), I would suggest offering some pears or peaches, and back off foods that cause constipation.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Firm, yes. All he gets are pears.

Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

Not to hijack your post, but I was just coming on here to post about pretty much the same thing. My DS is 6mo and just started solids, and only gets 2-3oz at dinner time, otherwise it's all BM. He's never been an every-day pooper, but he's only gone once in, like, 4 days, and it was today. It was the consistency of play-doh, and he cried pretty much the whole time he passed it. Is that normal? Constipation? It was so different from the runny, sweet-smelling EBF poops!
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*adb821 View Post
    Not to hijack your post, but I was just coming on here to post about pretty much the same thing. My DS is 6mo and just started solids, and only gets 2-3oz at dinner time, otherwise it's all BM. He's never been an every-day pooper, but he's only gone once in, like, 4 days, and it was today. It was the consistency of play-doh, and he cried pretty much the whole time he passed it. Is that normal? Constipation? It was so different from the runny, sweet-smelling EBF poops!
    That sounds like how it was when my DS started solids too. I started to get nervous if it was longer than 4 days, or if the poop was hard. The play-doh consistency seemed okay, in my opinion, even though he did cry when he was pooping. I felt like maybe he was just learning how to do it? Who knows! Depending on what kind of solids you are giving, try to stick to "p" foods when he has trouble pooping - pears, peaches, prunes.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

It's been a little while now and ds poops have gotten a little softer and more frequent. Maybe his system was learning how to work in this new way. One thing is for sure...the sweet smelly ebf poop is long gone. so sad so sad

Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF