Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not pooping or Watery yellow poop?

Exclamation Not pooping or Watery yellow poop?

My 8 day old doesn't seem to be pooping at all. It's been two days since we saw some brown poop but not really a lot. She is bfing well. I'm pretty sure she is getting to the hind milk with more far content, but still seems to not be pooping. I've been trying to read up and find answers and one possibility is that her poop is just so runny and yellow it looks like urine instead. Is this possible? We are using gdiapers with the disposable inserts and when I opened one up the other day it looked like there were two distinct spots, one for pee and one for poop, but it all looks like urine. I'm terrified to call the pedi because I'm afraid she will tell me I have to supplement. Please help this worried momma out!

Default Re: Not pooping or Watery yellow poop?

I forgot to mention that she is farting a lot, including right when she starts feeding, like they say newborns poop right when they start a feeding.

Mama, she's just 8 days old so I'd see the pediatrician about this. If baby's weight situation is normal, the pediatrician is very unlikely to recommend supplementation. But he/she might have insight on the poop situation. And if baby is having problems with her weight, then supplementation and an evaluation of your nursing situation may be necessary. But don't freak out if your doc recommends a supplement- come back here and we'll help you figure out ways to do it that are less likely to affect your nursing career.

It's reassuring that your baby's poop is yellow, even though it's so watery. Yellow is good.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal. An 8 day old baby 'should' be pooping at least 3 times a day, and it should be enough in volume at least that many times a day that there would be no mistaking it for pee. Breastmilk poop is normally quite runny and yellow but it does not look like pee unless it is just a streak, and we want to see more than just a streak. (Streaks are fine as long as there are also the larger volume poops happening.)

When having baby weighed, remember to measure any gain from lowest known weight, not birth weight. If baby lost weight after birth, as is normal, it would be normal for baby to not be back up to birth weight quite yet but at this point it would be normal if he was starting to regain from his lowest weight.

Don't be terrified of needing to supplement. You may not need to, and even if you need to, that does not mean at all that you cannot continue to breastfeed or that you won't be able to excusively breastfeed. You could look into donated breastmilk if you want to avoid formula, or better yet, ask you doctor if you can pump your own milk and 'supplement' with that. Also, if baby is not gaining, ask your doctor what breastfeeding assistance services they have. Some hospitals/medical groups have lactation consultants or breastfeeding clinics but inexplicably forget to mention this to moms who need them. Alternatively, you could hire a Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) for a personal appointment, or contact your local La Leche League to see if a Leader might be able to help, and for support.

Don't worry about formilk/hindmilk. That is the least of your worries. Just nurse very very very frequently.

here is a good article about what is normal and expected in the early days: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html

My second baby didn't poop at all after passing meconim for like 14 days, and that was his normal. His weight was fine, he was doing great, and nobody suggested supplements. It was his normal. But I checked with the doc before assuming that. So. Yes, just check in with the doc, have a weight check and make sure all is well.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hi Ladies, I have some updates and need some more advice.

Baby is now 2 weeks old, after passing her meconim, she had a few days of transitional poops, then didn't poop between 6 days old and 10 days, so a total of 4 days, then she had a huge, yellow seedy poop. I was hoping that she would start pooping regularly, after that but no luck. I finally called the Dr. today as she hadn't pooped again in 5 days. Right after talking to the Dr. I changed her diaper and again she had a HUGE yellow poop.

My Dr. recommended making "Oatmeal Water" by boiling oatmeal in water, filtering out the oats and giving her 10ml, 3 times a day for 2 days then to check in with her again if things are not better.

My question is, do you think I should still give her the oatmeal water. Seems to me like this is just her normal, to poop every 4 to 5 days. Is it still OK to give her the oatmeal water, will it do any harm to my bf relationship with baby?

A baby that young doesn't need anything except breastmilk and/or formula.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

I was also concerned about an odd poop schedule for my son, as he had his meconium poops and then his transitionals and then didn't poop for like 4 days. When I brought it up to the doc they said breastfed babies digest breastmilk very well, it's the perfect meal for them...so going a few days without pooping isn't abnormal....we just had to make sure he was still having enough wet diapers.

Every baby seems to be quite different, they have their own schedule. My nephew once went 2 weeks, freaked my sister out, and he was completely normal according to his ped

I am curious what the "oatmeal water" is supposed to do. As a nutritional supplement? To have a laxative effect? Generally an exclusively breastfed baby does not need a laxative, breastmilk has that effect anyway.

Have you had a weight check? If baby is gaining within normal parameters I don't see the problem. Baby is pooping so I assume doctor does not think there is a stoppage or anything, right? it just sounds like an odd pooping pattern for this age which could be normal, so my only concern would be to make sure baby is gaining.

Does baby seem uncomfortable between poops or when baby poops?

with LLLMeg. As long as baby is gaining okay, I'd be okay with an infrequent pooping pattern, and wouldn't try to do anything to change it. Oh, and FTR, I have never heard of oatmeal water being prescribed for constipation. I have no idea what it would be good for.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"