Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 months and still having issues

Default 4 months and still having issues

my daughter will be 4 months on the 30th and we're still having trouble breastfeeding... im tried all the "techniques" that i've found online.. they seem to work for about a week and then my nipples start hurting again... even with her shallow latch shes still gaining weight and having a lot of wet and dirty diapers... my nipples just hurt... sometimes i use my finger to pull down her chin while shes nursing and i can feel her bottle lip but by the time shes almost done i'll try and feel her lip again and it'll be sucked in again...

Default Re: 4 months and still having issues

Have you seen a Board Certified Lactation Consultant? (IBCLC) Has your baby been assesed for tongue tie or lip tie? For latch issues that have gone on so long, I usually suggest to moms that they should consider getting professional help. Costs vary but appts with IBCLC's in my area (northern California run in the neighborhood of $85-125. If you can not afford that, you could see if your local LLL leader will be able to see you and give you some ideas. But a Leader is usually going to be much more limited in what she can do especially if its a physiological issue. A Leader may be able to tell you about any low cost lactation services in your area if there are any. BTW, many pediatricians are not aware of the four types of tongue tie and how to assess for them.

You can get names of local IBCLC's here: www.ilca.org

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Have you seen a Board Certified Lactation Consultant? (IBCLC) Has your baby been assesed for tongue tie or lip tie? For latch issues that have gone on so long, I usually suggest to moms that they should consider getting professional help. Costs vary but appts with IBCLC's in my area (northern California run in the neighborhood of $85-125. If you can not afford that, you could see if your local LLL leader will be able to see you and give you some ideas. But a Leader is usually going to be much more limited in what she can do especially if its a physiological issue. A Leader may be able to tell you about any low cost lactation services in your area if there are any. BTW, many pediatricians are not aware of the four types of tongue tie and how to assess for them.

You can get names of local IBCLC's here: www.ilca.org
    i had her pedi check for a lip tip and she said she didnt have one.. i've been putting off calling a LC for 3 months... i've been dealing with sore nipples since she was 2 weeks old :/

Don't put the trip to the LC off any longer, mama! Just imagine if there's some simple positioning trip that will fix your soreness- it's worth the inconvenience and the money.

Meanwhile, can you tell us more about what you're experiencing? When do you have the most pain, what does the pain feel like, what shape are your nipples after baby is done nursing?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Don't put the trip to the LC off any longer, mama! Just imagine if there's some simple positioning trip that will fix your soreness- it's worth the inconvenience and the money.

Meanwhile, can you tell us more about what you're experiencing? When do you have the most pain, what does the pain feel like, what shape are your nipples after baby is done nursing?
    95% of the time i have soreness after shes dont nursing.. im not quite sure how to explain what the pain feels like... when i think about the pain the only word that comes to mind is raw.. hahaha.. and when shes done nursing it looks like a lipstick..

also im going to see a LC on monday i'd like to get this problem fixed so i can feel capable of going out to eat...

Lipstick-shaped nipples generally indicate a latch that is too shallow. The nipple lands in the front of the mouth, between the tongue and hard palate, where it gets squished into a lipstick shape. Ideally, you want the nipple to land on the very back of the tongue, underneath the soft palate. I'm glad you're going to see the LC! Sometimes the solution to the problem is as simple as trying a new positioning trick, or figuring out if a tongue-tie is present.

The pain you feel after feeding could be a vasospasm: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html. They are pretty common after baby nurses with a shallow latch.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

A lipstick so makes me think a latch problem and possibly a tongue tie. Call the LC and see if you can get in sooner!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Definitely try to see a LC soon! Also, maybe a heating pad would help? My LC suggested putting a heating pad on my breasts after nursing and pumping to help with pain, but you really need to have the cause taken care of.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.