Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 12 month old barely eating solids?

Default 12 month old barely eating solids?

Hello, I'm totally new to LLL and not sure where exactly to post this, but I'm hoping someone on here can help me out!

My DS has been EBF from the get go and only took a bottle of pumped milk a few times in the beginning. We offered him baby food when he was about 7 months only because we were getting so much flack from friends, family, nurses, etc. We were very hesitant at first because of a severe family history of food allergies on my husbands side so we waited 3 or 4 days at least in between trying new things. First we tried sweet potatoes and he threw up multiple times. Next we tried pears and he did great (that's about the only thing that he still *might* eat). He obviously wasn't interested and he gagged, threw up, or refused every feeding so we decided to just lay low and let him let us know when he was ready. He started walking at 9 months and then about a month ago (11 months) he grabbed something off of my plate and stuck the whole thing in his mouth... I took that as my cue that he wanted to try some solids. I give him every opportunity to eat and he may take a couple small bites, but then he is done. He doesn't want to be fed by anyone but him, which is fine by us, but I feel like he isn't eating enough. We go in for his 12 month checkup in a week and I know that he has stalled in the weight gain department and I'm concerned as to what the pediatrician will say. Lastly, I feel like my supply is not is as good as it used to be, but maybe it's just that my body is in "auto-pilot" mode and I don't feel my boobs getting heavy anymore...

My questions are...
    1) When is breastfeeding alone no longer good enough to support my son's nutritional needs? Are there signs to look for?
    2) What types of foods are good finger foods to start off with for those with possible allergies?
    3) What should I be prepared for at the 12 month appointment?
    4) Should I be concerned about my supply at this point?

Sorry this is so long and thank you for any input!

Default Re: 12 month old barely eating solids?

Welcome!

1. There's no hard and fast answer to this question. However, many moms, including myself, have found that their toddlers subsist primarily on breastmilk until somewhere in the middle of their second year, and that breastmilk continues to make up a large proportion of their diet thereafter.

2. Don't know- I don't know much about allergies.

3. Depends on your doc. You might get flak about the solids, you might not. If the doc asks you "So, what is he eating?" you can always evade the question. "I give him plenty of solids, but he doesn't always eat them."

4. No. As long as you are feeding on demand, there's no reason to be concerned even if you never feel full.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for your reply. I figured that there wasn't a specific time when babies just stop getting enough nutrition from breastmilk, but I was wondering if at some point I should get concerned. I have always fed on demand, just recently (within the last month or so) I have not felt like he has been getting as much. I think this upcoming appointment just has me stressed out... thanks again!

Let us know how it goes! If your doc gives you a hard time, maybe we can provide perspective.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ok, I will. Thanks!

I don't know much about allergens, but my daughter didn't really eat many solids til she was about 15-16 months old. Some days she still nurses more than eats.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Thanks Christine. That is definitely reassuring to hear