Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waiting For Milk To Come In

Default Waiting For Milk To Come In

DD1 was in the NICU (for 8 days) and couldn't wait for my milk to come in. She had formula in the first days until my milk came in. I was pumping every 3 hours and we gave her anything that I got. It came in on Day 4 and by day 6 she was completely on BM. She EBF to 17 months (pregnancy took my supply).

My milk didn't come in until Day 4 with DD2 as well. So I would nurse her first, then give her a small bottle of formula so she'd have something. As of Day 4 my milk was there and she never got another drop of formula. She EBF to 15 months (pregnancy took my supply again).

LO3 is on their way and since it worked out for us in the past, I'm not against helping them over the hump. I guess I need to accept that they'll do fine without it....

I've read that babes can wait until Mom's milk comes in but I tend to get when babe is crying and I don't have anything. 4 days just seems like such a long time to go without anything. What did you do, in your personal experience? How many days did it take for your milk to come in and what did you do (if anything) about it?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Waiting For Milk To Come In

It probably took longer because you were giving formula. I would think that because this is your third baby your body will be on top of things even faster and you will have milk pretty quick if you skip the formula. Just keep baby at breast nearly constantly. My milk took five days to come in and ds was completely fine.
    ETA: I was induced, had a cesarean and ds was a sleepy baby. That may be why it took so long for mine. Plus he was my first child.

Yeah, I really don't know. I mean, with DD1 was a c-section, but I did labour for about 12 hours. Medically she needed food, so I didn't have much of a choice. But I did put her to the breast for 5 - 10 minutes before giving her formula.

With DD2, she was my VBAC. She was always put to the breast first for a minimum of 10 minutes. If she was still , I'd give her a bottle.

Of course, I was in the hospital until my milk came in with both of my girls. So it could have been the pressure from the nursing staff too.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

and

with the PP. That small bottle of formula may have delayed your milk production for 24-48 hours. Not saying that's indubitably the case, just that there's a good chance. Just nurse, nurse, nurse, and keep switching sides and counting diapers. As long as baby is not really sleepy, jaundiced, or nursing poorly, there should be no reason to supplement.

I bet your milk comes in way faster this time! Mine took until day 3 with baby 1, but was in by the middle of day 2 for baby 2.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Both of my girls were jaundiced. DD1 was also contending with my gestational diabetes. DD2 was dealing with low blood sugar because I had been fasting for a test when I went into labour. 24 hours without food did not help either one of us.
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and

i think my milk came in on day 3. i also had a c-section when my water broke at 38 weeks. my baby was fine on my colostrum for the first two days. i nursed her every 2 hours or so, and each nursing session lasted for at least one hour. i think some sessions lasted two hours (both breasts)! she kept falling asleep at the breast and we kept waking her up still latched on. i didn't know how long a session was supposed to be so i just let her suck and suck as much as possible.

i think it was so much nursing that when my milk came, i had SO MUCH of it. i remember my breasts literally all of a sudden filling up and feeling like they were going to explode. and also, my nipples were soon very raw!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

We're they yellow or did their bilirubin levels get checked? Ds was yellow but his bilirubin levels were within nomal.

my milk came in on day 3 with my first and with my second it was not until day 5. i was nursing constantly. i had a natural birth. that is just when it happened.

with my first i had terrible engorgement because i did not know what to expect. with my second i was putting him to the breast NON stop because i wanted to prevent engorgement. i could tell when the milk came in but it was not that awful full/hard feeling i had with my first.

you are making colostrum, is in not as though you are "dry". i don't personally like the term"milk coming in" because it leaves the impression that the baby is not getting anything.

my second was slightly jauniced, the dr was not concerned. his weigh gain was a bit slow. i think this was becuase he just had trouble transsfering/sucking... he was always falling asleep

we worked hard in the beginning with compressions, constant feedings, etc to make sure his weight was ok.

when your milk comes in would be the last thing i would worry about

My DD was pretty jaundiced, which made her sleepy, and no matter what I did she kept falling asleep at the breast (which probably wasn't helping my milk to come in). On top of that she wasn't pooping (which wasn't helping with jaundice), and was becoming dehydrated. Giving her 2 oz of formula helped us get over the hump. As the first rule goes "feed the baby"...

Good luck!

My milk was seriously delayed with my son. I have no idea why but it took like two weeks. And we were nursing constantly. Didn't start supplementing till day 5 and at that time it was recommended by an LC as he was getting dehydrated. Even then we nursed, pumped and supplemented. I would not have supplemented if it wasn't seriously late like that. But he was starting to get really lethargic and supplementing actually helped him nurse better. When my milk was fully in I stopped supplementing and he has been ebf since 2 weeks old...
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein