Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hungry Baby.What to do while milk builds

Default Hungry Baby.What to do while milk builds

Hi Everyone!

My son is almost four months old and we've never had any real problems with breastfeeding. So I'm kind of at a loss, here.

About four days ago I got sick and caught some mouth infection that prevented me from eating and drinking normally. Well, naturally, my milk has taken a real dive and my baby is starting to get really upset.

I'm doing all the things I need to be do doing, Mothers Milk Tea, Fenugreek, trying to drink, trying to eat. He is not getting enough and I don't know what to do while my milk takes its time to come back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Default Re: Hungry Baby.What to do while milk bu

I am sure that others will jump with suggestions, but the first thing I can think of is turn nurse as often as your LO will nurse. More frequent nursing usually equals more milk.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I'm sorry you have been sick. The best thing to do is nurse and drink a lot of fluids. Your breasts are never really empty. The best way to boost your supply is to remove milk from your breasts. The more you remove and the faster you remove it - the more your body will make. So nurse. I would take a nursing vacation, and just lay in bed and nurse all day while reading or watching TV or dozing.

It could also be a growth spurt that is causing your baby to seem like he wants more. 4 months is a classic growth spurt time. http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html The best way to meet your baby's needs for a growth spurt - is to nurse, nurse, nurse.

Do you have somebody who can help bring you food and drinks while you try to take it easy and get better?

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

That's what I was going to say also. Take baby to bed and nurse all day. Get up to eat, drink and potty but then get back in bed wih baby.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    That's what I was going to say also. Take baby to bed and nurse all day. Get up to eat, drink and potty but then get back in bed wih baby.
    Great minds, chica.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

The absolute best thing you can do is to nurse, nurse, nurse!

Fussy baby does not necessarily = hungry baby. There are many reasons why babies fuss- teething, ear infections or other illnesses, developmental stages, preference for a faster or slower milk flow, etc.- so the best way to judge milk input is to watch diaper output. As long as your baby is producing sufficient wet diapers in a 24 hour period, you know he's getting enough.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agree with all the previous posts on nursing lots. Also very much agree with mommal. Yes of course long term malnutrition will likely affect supply but I find it hard to believe a brief period of illness on its own caused a huge supply drop. I always go back to what makes sense biologically and it would not make sense, from a species survival aspect, that a mothers milk supply is THAT sensitive to illness or not being able to have enough to eat for a few days. More likely you are ill and that has coincided with fussy behavior for whatever reasons. Four months is a notorious age for unexplained fussiness and distracted, even unhappy nursing in general.

Are YOU feeling better? Are you getting the treatment and rest you need? Get all the help you can so you can rest and get better.