Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: They make me want to SCREAM!!!

Default They make me want to SCREAM!!!

So we went to the pediatrician for Wyatt's 4 month check up and were told that we "could" start solids when we want to but that they tell their BF patients closer to 6 months is great.

I told my family this and now they are all over me to start solids (DH also). I had a 30 min argument with my sister about why I had not started yet. I have prob said 30 times in the last two weeks to various people that the AAP and the WHO say 6 months of exclusive BF.

I keep telling them that I will decide when the time is right for us. I have told DH that I want to wait and given him some resources to read so that he will see where I am coming from when making my decision. I am not going into this whole parenting experiment half cocked. I have done research on all the big decisions that we have had to make and I am doing the same with starting solids.

And no I dont read to much like everyone thinks. Informed consent and informed decision making is how I choose to parent.

Sorry for the vent
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Default Re: They make me want to SCREAM!!!

I HATE dealing with criticism. Thankfully, it hasn't been too often, but it still makes my blood boil, especially when they give advice as if I don't do my research. I agree completely with you, I like to make informed, intentional decisions about how to parent my LO, not rely on what my friend told me, who heard it from so and so, etc. We're finally getting our LO established with our family doc tomorrow as a matter of fact. (we decided to forgo well baby checkups up to this point as we are not vaccinating ...both decisions were well thought out and well researched...although we really should have gotten her established sooner, although DH and I both are established patients with this doc already) and I'm hoping we won't get any lectures...anyway, I digress. You're doing what's best for your LO and that's what matters most!
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

"Thanks for the advice! Feel free to follow it. Now, about the play-offs- Giants or Green Bay Packers?"
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I find that when you're in that situation, you fall into the trap that most women fall into. You explain too much. People take it as "Oh, she's not sure. She's trying to convince HERSELF, not me. She's still talking so that means it's still up for discussion."

Honestly? Stop talking. The answer is "No. 6 months." turn and walk away. They aren't interested in the new research. They aren't interested in learning something. Know your audience. If you know they're entrenched in their opinions, accept that, agree to disagree and walk away. As long as you keep arguing, so will they.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Next time, I HIGHLY recommend saying that your ped said that *insert parenting thing here* is completely normal and that's what you should do. Little white lies never hurt anyone. . .

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    I find that when you're in that situation, you fall into the trap that most women fall into. You explain too much. People take it as "Oh, she's not sure. She's trying to convince HERSELF, not me. She's still talking so that means it's still up for discussion."

Honestly? Stop talking. The answer is "No. 6 months." turn and walk away. They aren't interested in the new research. They aren't interested in learning something. Know your audience. If you know they're entrenched in their opinions, accept that, agree to disagree and walk away. As long as you keep arguing, so will they.
    Wow...was reading this thread as I can totally relate when I came across your response. I soooooo totally need to do this. No wonder everyone argues with me. I definitely dish out too much info!! Thanks for shedding some light on my problem!! From now on, i am saying as little as possible!!! Maybe now I can have some peace about my decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*GAmom View Post
    Wow...was reading this thread as I can totally relate when I came across your response. I soooooo totally need to do this. No wonder everyone argues with me. I definitely dish out too much info!! Thanks for shedding some light on my problem!! From now on, i am saying as little as possible!!! Maybe now I can have some peace about my decisions.
    Trust me, it was HARD EARNED. Probably my hardest lesson as a Mom. Knowing my audience. Shutting my trap. They don't want to hear it, they're just waiting for me to stop so they can lecture me back.

Now when I say my 2 - 3 words, turn and walk away I've got a HUGE grin on my face. Kind of hard to continue lecturing with no one there.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

with amysmom. People are such a pain. I've found that the "my doc says..."doesn't really work with know it alls because theirs always says something different. It's funny because I went through all this crap with my first child and I think now, I just don't say anything about anything and people don't really bother me.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post

Absolutely.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Yea walking away and/or hanging up the phone sounds like a good idea.

Thanks ladies
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude