Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I be worried?

Default Should I be worried?

My lo is 4.5 months old and been a great nurser. he hates bottles, but usually will take them if he has to during the day while I am gone.

The last two days, I have worked long hours (7-8 hours is long for me to be away) and both days he wouldn't eat much for my husband. Yesterday in 8 hours he only took 6 oz (I pumped 12) and today in 7.5 hours he only took 3 oz!! I even tried not to pump more than he was eating yesterday and today, but my boobs were aching. But he nurses as soon as I get home.

Well tonight he hasn't peed. He is usually a faucet! It has been over 3 hours...definitely the longest he has ever gone. Is that too long? How long is too long? :-(
    EBFing, CDing, BWing, co-sleeping mamma to Bennett (9/5/11).
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).

Default Re: Should I be worried?

How much is he nursing at night? Was he fussy or inconsolable for your dh while you were gone?

He usually wakes evey hour or two to nurse at night (we cosleep so sometimes it is hard for me to tell). Maybe a few three hour stretches in there too some nights. He did nurse to night when I got home, and then fell asleep.

He screamed and was fussy all day for my husband. It was a bad day...and I guess my dh tried everything, even breastmilk out of a cup, which he has been really into the last few weeks.
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).

He might reverse cycle. If you are worried about his hydration, see if you can nurse him again before you fall asleep. Then as much as he wants at night like usual. I don't think one day will hurt him. Are you going to be away for that long regularly? If so, he will probably either start reverse cycling every day or learn to like the bottle. Can you nurse him on a lunch break?

Thanks for the reassurance. He is actually nursing now. I know he is a good nurser, and he isnt exhibiting signs of dehydration, but the no urine has me worried.

My schedule is always shifting, so some days I am home all day and others gone. Most days I am away for 4-5 hours. We live a bit far for dh to drive himup to work to have him nurse. Any chance his teeth or something might be bothering him? He did roll over for the first time this morning, so maybe all his energy went to that and not pee production. Lol

He probably didn't drink enough today to make a lot of urine. And it takes more than 1 day for real dehydration -- the problematics kind -- to start.

He will probably want to nurse a lot the next few days.

Is he cool with straw cups? Maybe the novelty would help.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

We have never tried straws. I wonder if he would know what to do with it. Lol. Maybe I will get a sippy cup with a straw this weekend for him. He has been so curious about our food and drink lately, so maybe he would try it.