Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What would you have done?

Default What would you have done?

Baby is a week from 8 months. I know he's teething.

Today, he ate with this schedule:
    6 am nurse
    8 am nurse
    830 am few solids
    1030 am nurse
    1130 few solids
    2 pm nurse
    3 pm 2 crackers

When he woke from his 3rd nap, I tried to give him the breast. He refused.
    I kept trying. He continued to adamantly refuse.

So, I let him down to play for a few, and he was whiny. I tried the breast again - REFUSED.

Again, allowed him to play (called my mom for help) and then tried AGAIN to nurse him. I tried in multiple locations, lighting settings, etc. I am alone in the house with him right now, so there are no added distractions from hubby and DD.

He started to suckle, but then would pop off. I kept going from side to side - my let down is ridiculously slow. We worked at this for almost 10 minutes, and then he gave up.

He wanted down, so I let him crawl around some more. Finally, he was giving me all the I-have-to-sleep-now signs, and so I got him dressed for bed. I tried once again to nurse, and he turned away and arched his back. So, I laid him down to bed. He fussed a bit, but was asleep within 5 minutes.

What did I do wrong? What would you have done? Should I have given him some solids?

And how do I combat a slow let-down? I'm eating well, drinking fluids, etc.

It was NOTHING like this with my DD. I'm just so confused. It feels like we have awesome days and then this kind of weirdness happens.

Any help would be great.
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: What would you have done?

I think I would have done the same as you except I may have offered a painkiller like ibueprofen or tylenol and see if that did anything. I don't think you did anything wrong. I think they have "off" days. My LO would refuse like that sometimes if she was working on a big poo or some gassiness. It might be that? I would just see how tonight plays out since the night feeds usually are supposed to go easy (or early morning). if it turns into a strike I'd think about getting ears checked.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thanks. I did give him some ibuprofen and a couple teething tablets, and still nothing. The "sad" thing is that the last 2 nights, he's slept all the way until morning. I was getting excited! I'll just prepare myself that he's going to wake up.

What about the slow let-down? Is there anything to help that?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

for the slow let down..is that something new for you or have you always had problems with it? IME, if I'm thinking too hard about it, I'll get anxious and it gets slower even. Also, sometimes if LO is not that interested, she'll suck differently and it will therefore take longer (like she's not working hard enough for it). Lastly, I've had let downs take longer if my supply has gone down, like around AF time, or after an illness, etc. Usually its a combo of her sucking differently and me freaking myself out. I personally would not worry too much unless I had a history of supply problems. If you haven't it may just be a temporary thing. Distractions like music and tv (even talking on the phone while bf) have helped me.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog