Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussiness?

Default Fussiness?

Hello! My daughter is almost five months old; she has been solely breastfed. I usually have a snack before her final feed of the day, usually it's cereal or yogurt; I've noticed that she becomes fussy before she goes to sleep at night but only when I've had my nightly bowl of cereal. I drink whole milk; could the cow milk have some sort of affect on her? Anyone have any advice? I would sincerely appreciate your help!

Default Re: Fussiness?

This is not probable as it takes quite some time for the food you eat to be processed enzymatically, then mechanically by the stomach, then absorbed by the small intestine, then circulate through your bloodstream, then delivered to your breasts, then packaged into your breastmilk by the glands of your breasts, then secreted into the breast alveoli. As you can imagine any one of these steps takes a while, let alone all of these steps combined. Maybe baby doesn't like the smell of these foods? Maybe it is something else all together.
    Exclusively BF since 2/1/11 with no end in sight.
    THE greatest joy of my life.

If it was food in your diet, it would be hours before nursing (like 6hrs or so, I think, as PP mentioned it has to go through your system first).

Anything else you're doing differently on days she fusses? It could just be normal ins and outs of babyhood. Some nights my LO is wide awake and just won't settle down, other nights he hunkers down to nurse and falls asleep almost instantly.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

It doesn't sound like that to me. Sounds like just normal baby fussiness.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

thanks 4 the advice--i think i've figured out the problem: she is bored! after we play, she's fine--we still have our witching hour, but i deal.

Glad to hear you found the culprit!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

yeah............who knew newborns are just little people............boredom strikes all!!!!!!!

My guy is a really fussy night time baby but mostly happy all day. It was really bad the first 2-3 months they called it the "witching hour". Now I know he will just be a really cranky kid if he doesn't get to bed on time.

The witching hour, a.k.a. the granny hour!