Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Saturated fats and plugs

Default Saturated fats and plugs

I just wanted to say... if you're prone to plugs, really watch out for saturated fats in your diet! I learned this here from Susan (@aprilsmagic), but I hadn't had a chance to observe it first hand because my diet is very very lean and I was off dairy for 10 months for my LO.

Well, yesterday I had dairy for the first time (to see if LO is still sensitive), and lo and behold... today both my breasts had a few little plugs each! Thankfully the plugs were small and are gone now, but the connection with the saturated fats was just so clear and fast that I had to come here and share. All I had was a small bowl of ice cream, a couple pieces of cheese and one small truffle. These were my first plugs in months (I actually thought I would never get them again since my supply regulated).

So, here's something you CAN do to prevent those buggers!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Default Re: Saturated fats and plugs

YES!

I learned it at an LLL meeting 6-7 years ago when I mentioned I had had a plug pretty much somewhere for about EIGHT MONTHS

I cut that teeny bowl of ice cream I enjoyed every night and things got a lot better
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Speaking of plugs.... I am clueless except I had one fairly early on that turned into mastitis. NOT FUN! But, I knew I had that one because it hurt so much. Do you have plugs that come and go without soreness?

I have this lump on my left breast that my ob says is a plugged duct. But it's been months...not smaller...even trying to "work" it out, it remains. Honestly, the longer it's there, the more nervous I get. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at 33....I'll be 33 in a few days. It's scary. Should I insist my ob look at it again? Should I talk to someone else? Or really could it be a plug that just won't move?

Thanks!

kelhmama

My plugs always hurt.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelhmama View Post
    Speaking of plugs.... I am clueless except I had one fairly early on that turned into mastitis. NOT FUN! But, I knew I had that one because it hurt so much. Do you have plugs that come and go without soreness?

I have this lump on my left breast that my ob says is a plugged duct. But it's been months...not smaller...even trying to "work" it out, it remains. Honestly, the longer it's there, the more nervous I get. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at 33....I'll be 33 in a few days. It's scary. Should I insist my ob look at it again? Should I talk to someone else? Or really could it be a plug that just won't move?

Thanks!

kelhmama
    I've had plugs that don't hurt--I would find them by chance massaging my breast. They would always go away after a while though. I once asked my ob/gyn about this, and she said as long as they disappeared, not to worry. But if they lasted longer, we should look into them. So yes, I think you should talk to your doctor (or perhaps a different one), if only to give you peace of mind.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one