Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dd uses me to go to sleep every night

Question My dd uses me to go to sleep every night

My dd is 8 months old she can only sleep when she is bf! I loved it in the beginning but it makes it hard to do anything. She even keeps her lttle arm across me to make sure I'm there and if i move prtends or trys to find my nibble.She won't go to anyone else not even her father when I'm in the room yet alone go to sleep. I'm afraid she will always need me to go to sleep. My ss in law and mother in law say she needs to start putting herself to bed. Is this unhealthy have I started a bad habit?

Default Re: My dd uses me to go to sleep every n

Your baby's habit is inconvenient, but it's not a "bad" habit, or an unhealthy one. Does your baby take a pacifier? That might enable you to sneak away while she continues to suck. Also, does she fall asleep in a swing, stroller, or car? Motion is often almost as good as nursing for getting a baby to sleep and keeping her asleep.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It feels good to hear u say it's not a bad habit. haaha I can't believe you just said that. That is how my husband gets her to sleep.he puts her in the car and goes for a drive I told him I felt like I was starting another habit. He told me it's the only thing he can do. She is extremely attached to me too.she will be fine and then see me walk by the room and start crying

She wants nothing to do with a pacifier. I never really tried because I was afraid she would have a hard time nursin It is inconvenient however I am lucky she is still a great nurser. She eats at least 4times a day.

It's not a habit. It's just how babies are. They need some help to go to sleep. It is an instinct....think about it this way...if you were a baby in the jungle and your mom left you, a panther might come along and eat you. It's in your best interest to stay with mom or keep mom with you. So...you need help to stay and be asleep.

If you just roll with this attachment, it will get better. My third kid would have nothing to do with anyone but me for over a year. We just went with it, and he is all about daddy now
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you so much that's why I love this site! Moms supporting moms! Yah we will see if she turns out to be a daddy lover if what your saying is true. This gives me 4 months to ea
    t it all up while I can!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilaubree.mum View Post
    This gives me 4 months to eat it all up while I can!!
    That's what I keep focusing on through all of my DS's sleep troubles. He's only this little for a while and he won't always need me like he does now!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11

This sounds exactually like my son , I don't know how to put him to sleep anyother way , he's 6 months and never went to sleep on his own except in stroller or car, but as soon as it stops he wakes up , he has neverr slept in his crib , and if I try to take him off he goes loooking for it. I loved it as well and still do most of the time , but expectually at night I would like to lay alone for an hour. Dad doesn't like it bec he needs to sleep in crib stop taking up all the space in the bed lol . Need help!
    Mommy to one little boy who changed my life 8/30/11 , loves mommys milk

LOL! My LO is 6.5 months and exactly the same!! I can't help but laugh when I think he's asleep and I finally get my nipple free and then without missing a beat his little lips go searching for it - and he must have radar detection because he always finds it (or gets mad if I've closed shop already). I love cuddling with him and wouldn't trade it for a thing but I know what you mean, just lying in bed alone for an hour is divine. Like the PP, I just tell myself he isn't always going to be this little or want me around as much. And he's so darn cute.

I read a book when Joe was this age called The No Cry Sleep Solution, by Elizabeth Pantley. I can't say it was a magic fix for my baby's very restless sleeping (which he eventually grew out of, thank goodness), but it did have one tip I found really helpful, called the "Pantley Pull Off." You nurse the baby until they switch from gulping sucks to fluttery comfort sucks, then you gently unlatch. If baby cries, you relatch, but then repeat as soon as the sucking gets fluttery. Over time (and it did take a long time with Joe) baby learns to settle themself into sleep without a nipple in their mouth. I always stayed there and snuggled until baby was deeply asleep, and then I could slip away. It did take a while (partly bc Joe nursed all night, and I would be too tired to do it in the middle of the night, since I would be asleep by the time it got fluttery ), but I think in the long run, it made a bit of a difference in my ability to put him down and get away to watch some television and relax with DH.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Virtually all breastfed babies/toddlers drop off to sleep while nursing if they are the least bit tired. It is entirely healthy and normal. Some moms find it difficult at times and find other ways to get their kids to sleep and that is fine. But for many moms, it's actually a great, easy, surefire way to get a baby to sleep. When they were toddlers my kids napped better than most of my friends’ kids did. My friends would ask what my secret was, and I said "I lie down with them and nurse them to sleep." Hah hah, that stopped those conversations cold since they had all weaned their babies before 6 months.