Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slow weight gain

Default Re: Slow weight gain

Weigh-feed-weigh records can provide useful information. Just be careful not to make too much out of one data point. Your baby might have a terrific feeding at the nurse's office, or he might just have a small snack. If you're really concerned about intake, you need to do several days worth of data collection. The average- or better yet, for statistical purposes, the median- intake is much more informative than any single number.

A schedule is highly unlikely to increase your baby's weight gain, unless you mean that you want to start a schedule where you offer the breast more often than the baby seems to want. A lot of moms think that stretching out the time between feedings will make the baby hungrier, so that he will eat more when he nurses. But that's not a normal eating pattern for an infant. Breastfed babies often display an eating pattern of small, frequent meals, because breastmilk digests fast and infant tummies are tiny. Most breastfed babies take about 1.5 oz of milk per hour. This can come as a surprise to a mom who sees babies the same age as her own chugging down enormous bottles of formula! All a schedule is likely to get you is a sad baby who doesn't understand why he isn't being fed when he's hungry, and potentially a lowered milk supply. Supply = demand, and the moment you restrict demand you restrict supply as well.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It is unfortunate (and yes, sad) that the only place he was given formula was the hospital, where you'd expect to find more support of breastfeeding, but don't let it get you down. Focus on all the formula he didn't get because you have committed yourself to breastmilk. After giving birth, I was dismayed to read articles on how unsupportive (or just clueless) many hospitals are of breastfeeding.

People have also always commented on how happy my little guy is, and I've wondered if he would be sad if he weren't getting enough milk. I even started a thread a few months ago entitled "Wouldn't he cry more if he were hungry?" So, I know exactly where you're coming from.

I agree with mommal about the feeding schedule. My son often wouldn't tell me when he was hungry, but he got so he would let me know when he didn't want to eat, so I just started offering more to see if he'd accept it.

We also called in a LC at 4 months. She came to our house 3 times and did a weigh-feed-weigh each time. It made me feel good to see some numbers associated with his eating, but don't let those numbers bog you down, either.

Sorry for the novel of a response. I know how you're feeling and was hoping to give you some reassurance. Let us know how things turn out.

I had a slow weight-gainer! He was 8.10 at birth, 8 even when we left the hospital, and 8.05 at his one week checkup... and 2 week... and 3 week!! At one month he was 8.14! Only 4 oz over his birth weight. At 4 months he was right around 11 and a half pounds, I don't have his records in front of me. Luckily for me I have a pretty BF friendly pedi and she just always told me to watch his poo and pee, his mood and his development. She suggested putting more fat in my own diet, so I only eat full fat yogurt and drink full fat milk.

And you never know, he may still take off! My son was 15.14 at 6 months, so he moved up again in the curve. Just enjoy him, if he is a happy little guy I wouldn't worry too much.
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

I have had a similar experience so far as well... my LO Ivan was 7 lbs 13 ounces at birth. Had Jaundice out of the gate and had a hard time feeding... I had to put ice on his feet and a wet washcloth on his head to get him to eat! My nurses in the hospital were amazing and supportive... everytime they came into my room and I wasn't feeding him they got him to eat just a little more. He was 7 lbs 1 ounce when discharged three days later. At 2 months, he was 10 lbs and then at 4 months he was 11 lbs 15 ounces. I invested in an infant scale at home to check his weight on my own... today he is 13 lbs 7 ounces.

I have to say that he jumped at least an entire pound in the last two to three weeks... and I believe this is due to a dairy sensitivity that he has developed around 2 months of age. I noticed that his poops had turned from the standard yellow/mustard seedy color to a forest green mucus color. After a lot of reading and several calls to local breastfeeding support people, I determined that my LO had a dairy sensitivity. I also called my pediatrician's office and spoke to a nurse who told me that green poops are normal and that I shouldn't be concerned. So I cut all milk, yogurt, butter, and dairy proteins out of my diet for three weeks to see. At the end of the three weeks, we had our yellowish poops back!! Yea! Well now I am living dairy free and he is gaining weight like crazy...

Just something to think about in the case of low weight gain. My little man is long and lean... and gaining steady now! He is starting to get that roundish plump look.