Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update - I tried side lying feeding...

Default Update - I tried side lying feeding...

and it was a disaster!!!

OMG the latch was horrible and instead of correcting it like I should have, I just let her feed - BAD BAD mistake! I am so sore this morning.

I put a rolled up receiving blanket behind DD's back for support but that was all I did. So, I wasn't able to support my breast comfortably therefore it kind of sagged down which meant her face was pulled down with the weight of my breast. Then she was pulling on my nipple because it & her head were sagging towards the bed. I tried to prop her head with a folded cloth diaper just so she'd be about half an inch higher, but that didn't work.

I looked at the pics that were posted and I looked at the diagrams in the link provided. I still don't get it. I guess I'll try again, but not for awhile. I need to figuire out how to get a good latch without being able to support her head and my breast the way I can while latching in a sitting position. I can't yet latch her siting up then get us into a lying position - tried that and she slipped onto just the nipple (ouch)!!!

Ugh - I'll update when I am ready to try again.

Default Re: Update - I tried side lying feeding...

I'm sorry you are having a hard time with this. It took me and DS a while to get the hang of it. When he was small I'd put a rolled up burp cloth under my breast to support it....I'd place the cloth closer to the nipple end of my breast to support it out there. That seemed to help the best.

Keep trying...I remember thinking that I'll NEVER get this figured out. Now I just sleep while he nurses. Hang in there mama!

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I was sore at first too with this position. You are putting pressure on a different part of the nipple. Keep working on it. I saw a pillow for nursing in this position and 4 others. It was called The Nursing Nest. Keep trying. It took us a while to get it.

I'll echo what the other posters said ... keep practicing and you'll get it. Also, it gets MUCH easier as they get a little older and have more head control.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I couldn't get the hang of this until dd had head control, but I have to be honest and say that b/c of my C-section, it was difficult for me to roll over and I never really tried again until she was 3 months or so. I thought I would never get it...everyone made it sound so easy! And the thing is that every woman has a different body shape, so it really is a matter of finding what works for you...a pillow here, a washcloth there, a receiving blanket under this . Be persistent and you will find what works! I like a pillow behind me, one between my legs and a receiving blanket behind dd (we don't have to use that anymore, but we did. I usually took the receiving blanket and pulled it under her head a bit and then stuffed it under my breast...to lift my breast, and her head a bit! Then I leaned back on the pillow behind me, which also lifted my breast. And it is a bit of a different latch, because your breast is shaped a bit different when lying on your side. See...its not just you! YOu just have to keep trying different combos! After they get a bit older, you can ditch a lot of the pillows/blankets/etc, so you're not bound to this little positioning ritual forever. Just until your lo gets the hang of it!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    After they get a bit older, you can ditch a lot of the pillows/blankets/etc, so you're not bound to this little positioning ritual forever. Just until your lo gets the hang of it!
    That's really true. I only use a pillow for my head now that Addie is so big. If I want to fall asleep while she's nursing I'll also sometimes shove a pillow behind my lower back so I'm not supporting myself and can relax. So in the beginning you'll use a lot more "props" ... but over time you won't need them.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I can't do the side lying with my DS either. I have to lay him in the crease of my arm and then latch him on. I lay on my back but slightly on my side with a pillow behind me for support. Then I put his head in the crease of my arm which elevates him a little just enough to put him at a better level with my nipple. He latches on perfectly this way and it doesn't hurt me. This is a very relaxing position for me and sometimes I even fall asleep while he's nursing. If you do fall asleep in this position it's good for your LO because he/she will just let go of you and dose off to sleep. Since he's in your arm he won't go anywhere. Anyway this really helped me a lot it't the only way we can feed lying down. I hope it helps you good luck!

I agree with many of the PPs. Head control helps A LOT! I also think, that it's simply easier with a bigger (less floppy) baby. I had tried so often to nurse side lying in the beginning and we didn't get it right until DS was at least 4 mos old.

It will come.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

After reading all of these, I feel like I should try again.... DD is 7-1/2 months old and I tried in the very beginning, and then at about 3 months, and it didn't work. It always felt like she was pulling on my nipple in a painful stretchy way. I guess I need to work on my props....

Collin was born by c-section, so the side-lying was the first position I learned.
    I put him on his side beside me, then I lay on my side, but with my upper body half propped up on my elbow. I then use my free hand to lift his head and upper body up to my breast to latch him. Once he is latched properly, I slowly carefully ease myself back down on my pillow with the arm thats under me up and under my head on the pillow...I move him with me and he lays on his side with his head flat on the bed, below my pillow. Does that make any sense...I dont know, maybe it's easy for me cause I have large boobs,,,and when I lay on my side, so do they