Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety over pumping at work

Default Re: Anxiety over pumping at work

I really do understand your anxiety; I felt the same way initially and it took time to get used to taking my boobs out in the same room in which I might have an important meeting.

1 in 2 people can kiss my a**. Gosh that makes me mad that we are so backwards as a society. Besides the fact that I need milk for my LO, expressing milk is also a health issue. I could never concentrate on work with engorged breasts. Or leaking. And I'm not giving up my nursing relationship, so there you have it it just frustrates me that there isn't more support. I work with pretty much all men so maybe some of them are mystified by it but it's a medical need for me and my baby. How else am I supposed to feed her?

But seriously, I get it. It's hard when that kind of thing is on your mind and you're trying to be professional and produce good work. Occasionally it crosses my mind that it comes across negatively but it is all in my head.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

I think it is great that you have an office to use. I have my own office at work and when I returned I was extremely open about it. Most people don't say a thing, or I joke about it to make light of the situation.... Think of your pumping noise this way... If someone working in the office you are pumping in, that person next to you would hear them talking so a little chug chug noise isn't a big deal. I am in sales and am lucky to have my own office, many people who make phone calls all day long don't even have the luxury of having their own office... I agree with some of the others, try to take something to distract you. I respond to my emails or do my "busy" work that requires typing while I pump, it makes the time go by fast and takes my mind off it. Now that I am back to work people ask if I am decent before they enter.
    Good Luck! Hopefully it gets better for you!

Oh great, more pumping anxiety just arrived in my voicemail! Daycare called while I was pumping and asked if I might be willing to add about half an ounce to each of DS's bottles, because "he's not going long enough between feedings and doesn't seem satisfied today..."

I had sent four 3oz bottles (plus a 5th one that so far he has not needed). So that's 12oz he's been drinking. His last nursing at home is at 7:15 and then when we get home he nurses at about 5:30. So let's call that about 10 hours apart.

I know the rule of thumb of about an ounce per hour apart... so 12oz should be more than enough right? Now she's asking for 14oz (not counting the extra one I had been sending). Should I be concerned about this or just go with the flow? So far I have been pumping enough each day to meet this requirement (though my output has decreased each day this week).

She did mention a possible growth spurt, so maybe she doesn't mean she thinks I should send 14oz indefinitely...maybe just for a little while. I don't know.

I probably should have started a new thread for this but oh well.

Oh and by the way I did pump upstairs in the quiet room for my 3pm session and did not output any more milk than when I've been in the office with that guy next door. Hmmm.

How old is he? I was going to suggest growth spurt as well. I think the standard is 1-1.5 oz per hour you're apart. So technically, that could mean UP to 15 oz in 10 hours.

Do you do breast compressions? I had oversupply, but I could hardly pump without them. I spent my pumping sessions massaging and squeezing my breasts. Otherwise, it was hard to coax a letdown. Have you tried this? I found it was an easy way to increase my output by like, 1.5 times, probably, and it shortened my sessions. There's a sticky on the pumping forum on how to get the most milk from pumping, I highly recommend you check it out! Those tips work!!

Honestly, I don't know how much "relaxing" helps me pump. I do recommend a good novel or fun activity. But I do know that massage helps! Sometimes I think we breastfeeding moms get too hung up on "trying to relax," you know? I find it helpful to remember that women have breastfed through wars and other disasters since the dawn of time. It's always good to be relaxed, but breastfeeding doesn't require you to be zen all the time.

ETA: Here's the link, check it out! - http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...n-When-Pumping
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; January 11th, 2012 at 06:41 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    How old is he? I was going to suggest growth spurt as well. I think the standard is 1-1.5 oz per hour you're apart. So technically, that could mean UP to 15 oz in 10 hours.

Do you do breast compressions? I had oversupply, but I could hardly pump without them. I spent my pumping sessions massaging and squeezing my breasts. Otherwise, it was hard to coax a letdown. Have you tried this? I found it was an easy way to increase my output by like, 1.5 times, probably, and it shortened my sessions. There's a sticky on the pumping forum on how to get the most milk from pumping, I highly recommend you check it out! Those tips work!!

Honestly, I don't know how much "relaxing" helps me pump. I do recommend a good novel or fun activity. But I do know that massage helps! Sometimes I think we breastfeeding moms get too hung up on "trying to relax," you know? I find it helpful that women have breastfed through wars and other disasters since the dawn of time. It's always good to be relaxed, but breastfeeding doesn't require you to be zen all the time.

ETA: Here's the link, check it out! - http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...n-When-Pumping
    He is 4 months old tomorrow.

I do breast compressions. And also when I mention "relaxing" I don't mean I'm just sitting there doing nothing or meditating or something. I spend my pumping time surfing the web on my iPhone, or reading a book on my Kindle app. I tried eating lunch today while pumping and that did NOT work... I had to stop eating and pump an extra 15 minutes to catch up.

Here's the thing - I started out EPing for the first 6 weeks of my son's life because he refused to nurse. During all of that time, I never had any trouble responding to the pump. If anything, I had abundant oversupply. I could pump a ton of milk without having to do compressions either. This sudden decreased output has been since I started pumping from work, rather than in the privacy of my own home. That's why I'm blaming anxiety/self-consciousness.

I will definitely check out that sticky though. I've read some tips before, such as looking at pictures of your baby (never worked for me)...but I will see what else I can learn from the sticky. Thanks for the link!

If you EP'd, your pump has seen a lot of wear, which can cause it to loose suction and is probably the #1 reason women hit a wall with pumping at some point. When was the last time you changed your membranes?

Still trying to troubleshoot for you. I think anxiety could be a factor, don't get me wrong, but other things can cause a decrease too and I wouldn't want to blow them off only to discover they were the real problem, kwim?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

For most of the time I was EPing I had a hospital pump, but I did use my current pump (Ameda Purely Yours) a handful of times during that period and my output was about the same. That said, I was using these same pump *parts* with both machines all of that time so they could be getting worn out. I will get some new valves and diaphragms and see if that helps. Thanks for mentioning that.

Also - my first day back at work I pumped 20+ oz which was beyond great. It was yesterday and today that it dropped to around 16oz.

16 oz is really good. 20+ oz is CRAZY. Like, crazy oversupply territory.

You can call me JoMo!

I'd suggest you use headphones and listen to music while pumping so you can't hear the guy talking on the phone Thatmight help with the perception that he is overhearing you.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!